Another sign SACD is dying

I went to Best Buy to purchase some SACDs and after searching for the special section containing sacds and xrcds without success, I asked the salesman where they were. He informed me that they were all removed since dual disc is now the rage. WOW!
jmslaw
Post removed 
The flaw in your remarks Tvad is believing any industry moves that fast. The development of HDTV was appropriated by the legislature in the early '80's after not supporting the development of the semiconductor and losing countless dollars to Japan. Despite Federal funding, the universities were not able to produce an agreed upon format from which to develop until ten years later. Today there are more video formats battling it out than audio, and no clear path to HDTV in every home is seen by me.

Now you propose delivering audio through the same satellite network despite the inherent flaws they have encountered to date. Yes the technology is in place to do what you propose, but the logistics are another thing.

I also would like to draw your attention to Bill Gate's news conference a couple years back where he proposed ALL media will be run through the internet. He took the first step in that venture with the introduction of his beta program "Windows Media" which is now the standard operation system being sold to individuals. The same can be said for Steve Jobs with ipod. If you for one second believe these two men are on the wrong track, and your concept is the right track, then I must LOL. These two men will destroy music quality for all. Small labels will have no interest in fighting for satellite time and bandwidth when they already have a widely accepted system to deliver. SACD may die, but logic tell me SACD is the natural progression from DSD. The comment made that this is more work than vinyl is simply wrong. The recordings are more often than not being stored in DSD. Converting from DSD is no more work than vinyl, in fact it's less. DSD is SACD. As to getting approvals by the artists and working through royalties, that is no different from vinyl to disk, either way the legal arrangements agreed to by the artists must be followed.

So my belief is 180 degrees from yours, but for different reasons. Bill Gates owns the technology industry and controls the direction computers are going. The entertainment industry is too large for him to simply turn his back on. Now whether our data is send to our computer via fiber optics or satellite dishes makes little difference. The end location is a hard drive to store compressed files on. I challenge you to find me a computer that process audio at the EMM Meitner DAC quality. If it's out there, it is a long way from Best Buy, and the masses you discuss.

I have no reason to believe the computer (the future/ and present) file server for all our media will be developed to the degree our sound systems are. Hell some of us have power supplies on our DACs bigger than the computer boxes sitting under our desks.

So in summation I hardly see adding boxes to our electronics collections (boxes meaning satellite decoders. I assume the HDTV recorder will not do audio, and neither will do date) So I have more stuff to add to the VCR, DVD-V, processors, amps... No I think Gates has one box in mind. One computer with his operating system handling all information. My assumption is it will come through the internet, a land based system (for the most part) and the transfer of this date will eventually go through wire cables, fiber optic cables, satellite??? Steve Jobs appears to be focused on the portable information delivery system, and ????? has the satellite system. Best I can guess is those satellites will be quite busy once consumers demand a better phone system. Satellite phones are used all over the world, but not here, we have some goofy "cell" system that is so inherently flawed it is sickening. Sat phones, now that's the future.

jd
JD,

Then going 10 years out from a fully realized, all-in-one box solution, people will want to get back to the more "organic" quality of music and equipment that they "remembered as a kid back in '06". It will come full circle LOL :-)
Why don't you beleive it has 10 years left. Even if there were no more titles coming out, it would last that long?
There are new players and SACD's coming out still, not to mention the equipment that is used to make the recordings. Do you think in 2-3 years all the SACD players and SACD's will dry up and not be used? And given that another format is at least that far away (assuming it happens at all), what else is there to get into as far as high rez? With a lack of an alternate format, SACD will be milked for years to come.
Since my last post on December 1, almost 60 additional SACD titles have been added to sa-cd.net.

Today, Sony announced 2 more SACD releases....John Mayer's "Room For Squares" and Switchfoot's "The Beautiful Letdown".