Why so much????

In response to a post appearing here yesterday a number of 'AGon-people' claimed to have CD and vinyl collections numbering in the hundreds and even thousands. Other posters questioned the need for so much music (impossible to listen to all of it!) while others spoke of a pissing contest among the 'overly endowed'.
Your thoughts are requested for the following questions:
1) How much is too much?
2) To those with so much...Why? What's your rationale?
3) Are you crazy?

Just curious. I'll give my thoughts later.
128x128ashra
I would have a lot more if it wasn't for this endless pit that's high-end.
As others have said, there's no limit to curiosity. The more things I find, the more I think "maybe there's still something else..."
The "mistakes" done are easily "sold" on ebay or amazon.
Einstein:
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
I'm one of those with a fairly large collection?
probably 1,500-2,000 LPS
300-500 cassettes
1,000-1,200 cds
Unfortunately, there have been times where I've been a collector, not a listener
I'm 62 years old so i've had a long time to make a fool of my self. Started collecting when in college. I probably frequently listen to less then 10% of these. Whether I'm crazy or not, i'll leave others to judge, but certainly neurotic/compulsive. I've started placing ads as i've reached a time in my life where there's too much clutter in the house and will be soon downsizing our living space.
If someone doesn't understand why you have a large music collection, then no explanation can make them understand. The answer is self-evident. Either you get it or you don't.
Every one of us has more music than we need, but there may never be a limit to how much we want. Music is a great hobby because it allows you to enjoy the music, but also feeds some of our desire to collect. I find it much more optimal to collect something you can actually use, versus something like stamps, bottlecaps, or coins.

I have about 500 CD's, and recently just put them all into my iPod (which is simply awesome). I am currently traveling the world, and rating every song of mine from 1 to 5 stars (an iPod feature). This process is teaching me that I really do listen to and like almost all of my CD's, but there are at least a few handfuls that I plan to get rid of when I return home. No sense keeping those "mistake" CD's or the ones I just won't ever listen to again.
I think it is crazy also. I have about 250 Cd's / SACD's combined and find myself listening to the same 10 or 15 dics.

Chuck