Santana

I recently listened to Santana (Supernatural and Shaman) for the first time in many years. His guitar playing is awesome! I'm out of touch with his music. Can you give me recommendations regarding his best cds. I'm particularly interested in his most energetic cd.
johnrob
Pehare and Ceb222 most of the guitar work on the thrid album was performed by Neil Schon who is now with Journey, Carlos does the basic riffs and his solos were amoung the best since Neil pushed him a little harder then he now plays.

Great album none the less.

Happy Listening.
Lotus - 3-Lp live set from mid 70's alvailable only as import untill released on CD in the early 90's.
A Santana recommendation depends on what tracks of Supernatural and Shaman you liked. Some tracks showcase his unique classic bluesy guitar playing and others are "contemporary pop" with his unique stylistic overlay. Which ones moved you most? It's hard to offer a helpful or like-styled Santana recommendation unless you can tell us which tunes you liked. Consequently, I'm sure the Audigon Community can make more specific Santana recommendations. At the moment, everyone is nominating their own favorites... and most are excellent.

FYI, Santana's career can be organized into these broad musical "periods":

"Golden Period-Big 3 Classics"
Santana (1967)
Abraxis (1968)
Santana 3 (1971)

Santana & Buddy Miles (1972)-Forgetable live jam music

"Jazz-Fusion" -Exquisite jazz-rock-latin fusion
Caravansarai (1972)
Love-Devotion-Surrender-w/John McLaughlin (1972)
Welcome (1973)- Ultimate latin-rock-jazz-funk fusion!
Borboletta (1974)
Lotus (1974)-Live from Japan tour

"Back to roots latin-rock & Blues"
Amigos (1976)
Moonflower (1977)- Live "classics" and pop/rock studio tunes
Festival (1977)

"Uneven Period w/occasional brilliance"
Inner Secrets (1978)- It hurts to hear this one.
Marathon (1979)- New Age
Oneness (1979)
Zebop (1981)
Shango (1982)
Blues for Salvadore (1987)-Great blues playing!
Viva Santana (1988)-Retrospective w/unreleased rarities
Beyond Appearences (1990)
Sacred Fire (1993)-Live rendition of his "classics"

"Career Revival"
Supernatural (1999)-Back in the public view
Shaman (2002)- 2nd Ed of Supernatural formula

Regardless, Carlos Santana deserves to be mentioned among the great musical stylists - two notes and you KNOW it's Santana because no one else plays or sounds like him. See Amazon.com for comments about each release.