Tom Waitts Where do I begin?

In NY, FUV, one of our small, cozy, radio stations has been doing a special through the day on Tom Waitt's music. I'm a believer, now. Where do I begin? Can you give me some albums to start with? thanks in advance. peace, warren
128x128warrenh
Been a Tom Waits fan (in the truest sense) since the beginning. Taught school w/ one of Tom's best friends and sometime collaborator, saw him in concert 1st time about 25-30 years ago and been along for the ride ever since. The albums mentioneed above are terrific, especially "Nighthawks'' which lends some great insight into his concert demeanor. I also like "Small Change and Closing Time" but the one I believe is the best is "Heartattack And Vine". The brilliant line" There ain't no devil, only God when he's drunk" stays with you forever. Seediest cover pic and graveliest voice but virtually every song is amazing. By far IMHO the peak of Tom's lyric prowess (other songs are in the realm, but I've yet to hear another album as consistenly impressive).
Rhyno wrote "proceed at your own peril". Words of wisdom indeed. There is no one else like Tom and this is not background music, this is late night (or very early morning), no lights and for some libation induced music. Welcome to the club!
Oh Uppermidfi... are you still struggling to understand those Donna Summer lyrics?