What music have you been buying? Old or new?

I have been thinking about the music purchases I have made just in the last few weeks. I bought six of the new Dylan SACDs, one Eva Cassidy, one Jethro Tull live on the BBC, and Thirty years of Lynyrd Skynrd.

Even if I go back farther I find that most of the music is 'older' or at least older artists. I bought the new Johnny Cash LP and Nora Jones, but can you see the trend here?

I will admit, I am 42 years old and raised on AOR, but I just don't hear much new music that I find interesting. You can keep kid rock and eminem!!! I'll stick to my oldies over them.

Are you buying old music and artists or mostly newer artists and recordings, or a good mix of both? I'm not just asking the 'over the hill crowd' either, youngsters like slappy are welcome to weigh in!
128x128nrchy
I buy a lot of both.
This has been a great year for remasters/re-releases-I will nearer the end of the year post lists covering both.
On the Remaster front-we've had the 17 Dylan remasters (already covered in detail by me on a seperate post),Echo& The Bunnymen,Yes the next 4 in the series,Miles Davis The Complete Jack Johnson Box Set,Neil Young's classic On The Beach,Television's Marquee Moon(truly tremendous).
Japan,Led Zep and Kevin Ayres.
Without exception these are all the best sounding CD versions available of these records,if indeed they were available on CD before.
As regards new music,I'm not convinced it's been a classic year nor indeed am I sure at this stage sure what I would pick as my favourite record but there have been some worthwhile releases.
Blur-Think Tank-good mix of art pop/rock

Radiohead-Hail To The Thief-usual left field take on Rock

The Mars Volta-De-loused In The Crematorium-heavy Prog-rock form main members of alt-metal band At The Drive In.

David Sylvian-Blemish--excellent in parts art rock/avant pop

Steely Dan-Everything Must Go-good album

The Strokes-Room On Fire-peeters out but some great tracks.

Nick Cave-Nocturama--good if not great album

David Bowie-Reality-Another very strong release as Bowie continues his return to form.

Jane's Addiction-Strays-reasonably strong come back from pioneering left field heavy rock outfit.

Zwan-Mary Star Of The Sea-great power pop from Billy Corgan.

Ryan Adams-the enfant terrible of modern songwriting but undoubtly the most talented new songwriter about adds new genres to his already impressive high quality magpie status.

Ryan Adams-Rock n'Roll-80's style power pop/rock-imagine The Smiths meets early U2!
Patchy but worthwhile effort-too long but contains 4 or 5 great songs.

Ryan Adams-Love Is Hell Part 1-the first part of the record his record company would not release.
8 fantastic downbeat mostly piano based songs evoking Jeff Bucley,Wilco-simply great music.

If I've learned anything on Audiogon and I don't mean to be rude,a lot of members have switched their interest from reading about music to reading about equipment.
There's always music about-new and old-the lists above don't even touch on the music I've discovered this year that wasn't released this year-seek and ye shall find.
Wow. The new Lyle Lovett on Vinyl? I have it on cd and like it very much. Also some recent fav cd's are Jann Arden'love is the only soldier"; Holly Cole,"Shade";Rosanne Cash"Rules of travel";Nanci Griffith,"Winter marquee"; Emmylou Harris,"Stumble into grace', one of my most favourites. AlsoAnnie Lennox,"Bare"; Shelby Lynne,"Idenity crisis" another excellent disc. A local group of Antigonish here in Atlantic Canada is The Threws, "House of ill fame," a great raw live band high energy garage party hard dude music. Still among my favourites are the Thorns....I just smile when I listen to them......good listening everyone....
Ladavid-the Love Is Hell Part 1 ep was released here in the UK the same day as Rock and Roll-about two/three weeks ago.
The UK version has 2 bonus tracks which imho only get in the way of the 8 original tracks.
It hasn't been reviewed in any mags I have seen (the Rock and Roll reviews universally say mediocre with the exception of Mojo)probably because no pre-release copies were sent to any music magazine.
Thanks ben will look for Love cd - thinking I will pass on the Rock and Roll. Was huge fan of Gold but Demolition just didn't do it for me. Guess I had better contribute a few:

1. Joe Henry - Tiny Voices
2. Ladybug Transistor - Albemarle Sand - great orchestral pop / what the Beach Boys would sound like today
3. Van Morrison - Whats Wrong with this picture
4. my current guilty pleasure - Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven - can't get this off the cd player - need two one for car and one for living room but always loved that Big Star sound

finally worth noting I bought a copy of the November Grammaphone and it came with two classical compilation cds - can't quite get into classical but this is over 90 minutes of the best of 2003 classical - whole mix of classic genres - sounds amazing on my system too and great sampler for getting into wide range of classical music (all for $10 magazine), although my kids want to know what is that wierd music you are listening to!