Amazing XRCD I just purchased....

Just finish listening to the Sonny Rollins (way out west) XRCD and it is a truly wonderful(relaxing) experience,without a doubt one of the top 5 XRCD Im ever heard,and alot better than most of the SACD I've heard.I must have for your reference "hottie" CD.Two thumbs up!!
bmwhaus
can anyone link me to an online source for k2 cd's? I live in Toronto and I don't know of any stores that carry them.

Thanks
Mikes,
Try going to www.fantasyrecords.com. They produce k2's and you can buy direct from them. Somewhere on the website is a list of all currently available k2's, I can remember the exact link but if you cruise the site you can figure it out. Good luck!
I'm pretty certain that Bomarc is correct that K2s use the same masters as XRCDs. The difference is in the manufacturing process (and of course the packaging).

As an aside, I have the XRCD version of Everybody Digs Bill Evans and it has the distortions that Hdm mentions on his K2 version. Presumably the problem is on the master tape which I suppose is why you never see Everybody Digs featured in Stereophile advertisements that way Moonbeams and Waltz for Debbie are. It may not be an audiophile classic (which begs the question of why JVC bothered to produce an XRCD version), but the music is damn fine.
Curbach,
Could you please elaborate on the manufacturing process being different? Are you referring to the mastering chain or something else? Either way what specific differences are there? Sorry to pepper you with questions but you are getting to the heart of the matter I'm curious about, are K2's and XRCD's in fact different or is it just marketing? Many thanks.
I would guess that the manufacturing differences would be very slight. CDs aren't like LPs, where the kind of vinyl you use and the care you take can make a major difference in the sound. (Which is why foreign pressings of LPs often sound much better than domestics, even using the same master tape.) For CDs, the real difference is in the mastering, and I cannot imagine that JVC wastes its time making two different masters, one for its own XRCDs and one to license back to Fantasy.