How many CD/LPs do you need?

At one time I had alot of CDs...maybe about 3000. I came to the conclusion that I would never listen to many of them, so I sold alot of them, but still, I was looking through my collection, and I have more than I could ever listen to in a lifetime. I was thinking, if I had 100 great CDs, I couuld listen to one per week, thoroughly, and never listen to the same thing in a 2 year span. Right now I am holding steady at 500 and now, every new addition has to be golden, where I love it and every song on it.

What about you?
matchstikman
Match:

As many good ones as I can afford and store. A musical software collection is just like a book collection in that it is a library of sorts.

I don't collect much new music, but concentrate on older stuff that is starting to get scarce (tons of music never made it to CD format).

Today I picked up:

"Everybody Loves H.B. Barnum" (RCA Mono, 1962)

"E. Power Biggs Plays Scott Joplin" (on pedal harpsichord)
Kinsekd, you have me pegged right. I am one of the guys that lives on minimalistic attributes. In fact, people often come over to my house and wonder if I am going poor because I almost have nothing around. It is very funny.

Dekay, I have the same view of books. Unless it is one of those books that deserves another read, I read it and pass it on to someone at work. That's me.
Match:

I have a similar view of clothing (don't like to own more than two weeks worth).

Guess we all have something that we feel this way about.
I do view my collection like a library-Garfish is right to point out this can indeed be a motivation in itself-I would be deluding myself if I didn't recognise this failing but many a happy mistake has been made or a grateful nod to a record I had ignored but wanted to listen to due to reading something or a recommendation by someone.........more I need more.........

I have close to 2,000 CDs and about 800-900 LPs. I catalog all my music into various periods, and artists etc. To me, you can never have enough of good music.

Ben, I agree with you. Sometimes when you get rid of something, you may end up regretting it because it takes a lot more time to replace it.

After all, our musical tastes sometimes changes over time. I used to dislike the works of Mahler and Shostokovich in Classical, but later on, I discovered elements that I like about the music. Age changes our perceptions- things we did not like when we were young- perhaps because we have little patience during that time- becomes more highly valued and appreciated down the road. Therefore by keeping a recording, and playing it later may help one to appreciate it (not all the time) over time. Music just grows on you. To me, there are good and bad recordings- either way- I never sell any of them. Why? Because being a music lover as opposed to merely being an equipment lover, collecting music is a fun way to pass the time. It is part of history and one can learn so much just from being able to differentiate the different types of music, in addition, to appreciating it. Even though if I only play a recording once in my lifetime, I still have a sense that it is there, and since it is a part of my collection, there is a feeling of pride of ownership and satisfaction. It is better to collect music than junk.

Happy Listening!

Zenaissance