What's your latest "Discovery"

You know when you buy a new album and it just clicks?! And then you have to play it rather frequently in the mix over and over for the next several days....What's the last album's you bought that really clicked for you?

I just picked up a Jazz trio album that is just a wonderful recording and performance:

It's called "Achirana" on ECM (that label seems to have a lot of great discs!). Vassilis Tsabroplulos, Piano. Arild Andersen, Double-Bass. John Marshall, Drums. Love the 5th cut! That double bass is right there in the room!

Also been enjoying a new classical guitar disc: Julian Bream, "The Ultimate Guitar Collection" on BMG. Great double-disc set. Not that crazy about the recording on this one, but the performance and breadth of the tapestry of work on those two CD's is remarkable.

Any new "discoveries" to share?
jax2
Nouvelle Vague Bande A Part. Available on vinyl or CD. The Lp is recorded about as well as they come. The covers are enjoyable and Melane Pain's smokey voice is a delight.
Kenny Drew "Undercurrent" (Blue Note, 1960) All devotees of the great vintage BN 'hard bop' house style need this album! Other than his sideman turn on "Blue Trane" I didn't know much about pianist Drew, but picked this disk up when I saw he wrote all six tunes, and had a frontline of Hank Mobley and a young Freddie Hubbard. Turns out this set is just as fine (and concise) as it got -- equally archetypal as any more famous Blue Notes of the period. (And featuring very inviting sound to boot -- and my copy isn't even the new RVG remaster...Sorry, don't know about the availability of audiophile vinyl.) Drew's accessibly moddish tunes are ace, the confidently probing horn tandem simply kills, each man pushing the other to make every note count, and the group as a whole (with Sam Jones on bass and Louis Hayes on drums) sounds as if they've been playing together forever, with the nominal leader (who in no way dominates the proceedings) displaying light and lithe articulateness and swing. According to AMG, the late Drew, who'd been active as a sideman and occasional leader in the 50's, became an ex-pat after this, his second date for the label, and didn't record again as a leader until the 70's. If classic Blue Note is yer bag and you don't own it yet, take it from me, this one here's a winner.
I'm kind of like'n Wilco "sky blue sky" Nick Lowe "at my age" Sam Baker "pretty wrold"

Todd
a few . . .
Terence Blanchard "A Tale of God's Will (a requiem for katrina)". this is an amazing and haunting CD, especially the second cut "Levees"

Also, Terence Blanchard "Jazz in Film" is excellent. I'll be looking for more Blanchard releases soon.

I really like Trumpet led Jazz, and have picked up a lot of new stuff lately to complement my Mile Davis collection, including - Kenny Wheeler, Tomacz Stanko, Jon Hassell, Erik Trufaz, and others.

Kenny Wheeler "It Takes Two!" is outstanding, and features John Abercrombie - one of my favorite guitarists.

Finally, great call by Johnrob on "BETHANY AND RUFUS - 900 MILES". I picked this up based on his post above. I must say I'm as or more intrigued by what Rufus does with the cello as I am by Bethany's vocals, though she is excellent too.
I really like Trumpet led Jazz, and have picked up a lot of new stuff lately to complement my Mile Davis collection, including - Kenny Wheeler, Tomacz Stanko, Jon Hassell, Erik Trufaz, and others.

If you like trumpet led jazz you might want to listen to Lester Bowie. Even though he does covers of pop(ular) songs, his play can be amazing. Take a listen to "The Fire this time" - one of my favorite live albums.