Santana "Shaman" Released 10/22

The new Santana “Shaman” CD was released today. Having been a Santana fan since 1968, I had to purchase one! I’ve only listened to it once so far (75 minutes of music). I know I have to give it a chance, and become familiar with it. Believe me, it’s different! There are a few very good songs that I can get into right away, and then there are some different songs. It’s different from the Santana I’ve come to know (for example, “Supernatural” CD, which I very much like). What are your thoughts about the Shaman CD?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak
No need to resort to hand-wringing about Santana "going pop". These charges have been leveled at least three times during his career, in my memory, at least. Shaman is what, Santana's 37th album of songs? He has always tried tinkering on the edges of different genres and incorporating new styles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I recall those that said he could only do Latin, and he responded with a more jazz-influenced package. They said he had lost his edge for solo-guitar virtuosity. This just before the release including Europa (a classic), BTW. I think Santana enjoys and tries to incorporate influences ranging from Miles Davis to P Diddy and most everything in between. He tries to do what he likes and I don't think he really cares if it accepted widely, or not. He's got enough money to last he and his several lifetimes and, if he does something for the money, it is probably to support one of his causes, as opposed to his own bank account.

To many, Santana will always be "that guy who plays Latin music", when, in fact, most of his rhythms relate more to African-influenced music than anything else.
It got a terrible review in the Wash. Post today...they sort of pitied him, to be honest. Haven't heard it myself (not a fan in general). I didn't take to Supernatural at all.