Help KEF 104/2 what amp do I need to drive them?

I recently picked up a pair of KEF 104/2's at a local sale. I have had these hooked up to a new yamaha receiver (around 100 watts)and they sound pretty decent. However, from the little information I have been able to find on these speakers it seems that they are rather picky and like a strong amp. I am trying to find an amp that will drive these to their full potential. Does anyone have any recomendations or past experience?

I am looking to spend no more than $500 on the amp right now and I am hoping to buy used. I have seen several 125 watt B&K amps online. I was also thinking about a used NAD amp. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!

Madison
madmanbmw
Thanks for the advice guys. I am looking into the brands you all suggested. Does anyone else have any more advice and/or experience with these speakers?

madison
[email protected]
The KEF 104/2 is a true high-end speaker that can compete with the best on the market with mods and the right amplification. It sounds better and better with higher-power and lower impedance amps. My modified pair were called "killer speakers" at CES this year (dont ask - the mods are $6K). I use modified Parasound JC-1's to drive them - delivers ~1000W/chnl into 3 ohms.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer/modder
MMBMW, if you don't mind running Class A amps, they run hot and you normally wouldn't leave them on all the time...like tube amps. I would suggest waiting for a Forte Model 4 or 4A. I am very familiar with the Kef "sound" and in particular your speakers from their inception as the plain old 104 ( had the originals when I lived in Germany). I have owned the Forte amp and it's bass with match your Kef bass perfectly. This amp is also very musical and non-fatiguing, much like how the Brits like their sound. You may have to shell out another $100 or even $200 over your $500 budget, but it would be worth it. Synergy is always the key to good music and the Forte and Kef combo is a perfect match. Don't let the 40 wpc fool you, this amp is pure Class A and powerful! I'd be patient and wait for one to pop up on the Gon. My 2 cents, good luck.
Having owned the 104.2 for some 5 years now, I wouldn’t call them particularly picky. Like most good designs they do respond to better amplification, but, as your experience shows, they will sound decent with even mediocre amplification. I’ve run mine with everything from Rotel receivers to a Bryston 4B to a Rega Mira integrated. The most notable improvement from better amplification is in the bass, which can sound loose and wooly if underpowered.

The Cyrus is a good recommendation, though a bit hard to find here in the US. The Rega really surprised me with it’s relatively low power rating. It did an excellent job (especially for $400!) controlling the bass while extending the highs as well as the Kefs’ soundstage. Considering that you haven’t budgeted funds for a preamp, I’d go the integrated route for now. Solid offerings from Rega, Cambridge, Rotel, etc... are within your budget.
I dont really have to go integrated, though that is an option. A used NAD 370 integrated seems pretty appealing since I dont plan on adding a sub anytime soon. The $500 price budget was just a rough idea. I can go higher or lower if I would notice a big difference or I could spend more if I was getting a really good deal. I just want to get the best sound for a good price and seperates are by no means out of the question.

Since I live in a rural area it is hard to test different amps with the speakers and other than your suggestions I will be buying blind. I want to make sure I get enough power for these speakers that I will never desire anymore. I do not need to have the best amp but I want the speakers to perform at 99.9% of their potential.

Madison