Help KEF 104/2 what amp do I need to drive them?

I recently picked up a pair of KEF 104/2's at a local sale. I have had these hooked up to a new yamaha receiver (around 100 watts)and they sound pretty decent. However, from the little information I have been able to find on these speakers it seems that they are rather picky and like a strong amp. I am trying to find an amp that will drive these to their full potential. Does anyone have any recomendations or past experience?

I am looking to spend no more than $500 on the amp right now and I am hoping to buy used. I have seen several 125 watt B&K amps online. I was also thinking about a used NAD amp. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!

Madison
madmanbmw

Showing 1 response by rking100

MMBMW, if you don't mind running Class A amps, they run hot and you normally wouldn't leave them on all the time...like tube amps. I would suggest waiting for a Forte Model 4 or 4A. I am very familiar with the Kef "sound" and in particular your speakers from their inception as the plain old 104 ( had the originals when I lived in Germany). I have owned the Forte amp and it's bass with match your Kef bass perfectly. This amp is also very musical and non-fatiguing, much like how the Brits like their sound. You may have to shell out another $100 or even $200 over your $500 budget, but it would be worth it. Synergy is always the key to good music and the Forte and Kef combo is a perfect match. Don't let the 40 wpc fool you, this amp is pure Class A and powerful! I'd be patient and wait for one to pop up on the Gon. My 2 cents, good luck.