Is a tube preamp a good idea?

I'm interested in getting a tube preamp to match with my PS Audio HCA2. The idea is to mainly use it for music, but I also use it for TV and movies. It's generally on all day for satellite music as well as pre-recorded music and later at night for TV. With the extensive time of being powered up each day, is a tube pre a good idea or am I going to go through tubes like water? Thanks Goners for your insight.
Tom
bookert2896c
Thank you folks for clarification. I have always left my SS gear on 24/7. It's good to know (thank you Raquel) that I actually benefit from doing it with tubes (at least in a preamp or CD player). I am considering some incarnation of a Conrad-Johnson preamp. Armed with new info, I may take the plunge. Once again, you Goners are the best sources of information out there! Thanks,
Tom
I use a CJ Premier 17 and have to say, I turn it off when not in use. I don't hear much improvement with warm up and have concerns about energy use(I know, turning off my Pre Amp, aint going to save the planet). I think any of the premier series 10,14, 16, 17, will be all you ever need.
I don't know if any home audio equipment has these features but here are some simple things that are helpful with tube circuits.

1... Keep the tube filaments on at reduced voltage all the time.
2... Turn on the filaments before plate voltage is applied.
3... Bring the plate voltage up slowly.

These are pretty simple to implement, and would make a good marketing point.
I have recently purchased an entirely new/old dream-system, (a very OLD dream I might add), based on components that were unobtainable on my budget 25 years ago. Call it "Vintage Rothchild on a Beer budget" audio, as I'm quite content with 2 channel, (for now), and untill I understand more of what's transpired in the last 2 decades, I have a firm footing on familiar ground.
My Audiogon purchases have been a tube Dynaco PAS 2/3, to feed a pair of SS Marantz MA-5 mono amps.
This leaves the "Duh" question of how to set everything to optimum preformance.
From what I'm hearing, I really need to let it all simmer for a coupple of days, (at least 4) and give the analog gear a chance to get well aquainted.
They are driving a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10, and based on the preliminary excursions so far, I'm impressed with these fugitives from the Smithsonian.
So "on" is OK? (We ARE talking about good/checked-out/full of T.L.C. gear from Goner's, here).
Thanks, any and all opinions, please!
Jim