JADIS JA80 with 6550 or KT 88 or KT90 ?

My Jadis JA80 was built in April 1999 and came equiped from the factory with eight 6550 valves.

Before deciding to buy a new set of tubes, I would like to know some opinions about the advantage or inconvenience of using the KT 88 or the KT 90 tubes in my JA80.

Is there any experience of using these tubes (KT 88 or KT 90) in an amplifier designed from the factory to work with 6550 tubes?

Many thanks for your cooperation.
rato456
Of the 6550s I used in my old JA80s (from around 1993, had them over 10 years), the best of current production tubes were true Svetlanas (not Sovteks). They had some of the midrange of the better KT88s, though could not match them in that area, and had the best bass control of all the tube types I used in the 80s. They will give you most of what these amps can offer. The best 6550s ever in my amps were the Tung Sols, but you have to make sure you get the real ones, as there were a lot of phony ones out there in the market. And the best tubes I ever had in my JA 80s were NOS MO Valve KT88s (GEC Gold Lions, etc.). They are pricy, but lasted four times longer than any 6550 type tubes in those amps, had the midrange of EL34s (which sounded great in that area while they lasted) but much better bass, and seemed to be just the perfect tube for those amps. I did not like the KT90s in my amps--felt they were cold and lifeless, became stale-sounding after a while. Anyway, I see you got some Svetlanas, so you've gone the right direction, in my view.
Bartokfan: As Khrys pointed out above, the JOR's transformers are supposedly optimized for the KT90 tubes, though there still are many who prefer EL34s and KT88s in the amp. KT88s will likely give you a lusher midrange and a more "tubey" sound than the KT90s, which are leaner (Khrys's description as the perfect transistor is the way I felt about the KT90s too). As far as current production recommendations, I don't have any, but check the archives, there are a lot of recommendations on current production KT88s.

I have nearly new pair of JA30’s with KT90's factory fitted. Are any changes or re-calibrations required when changing between KT90’s, KT88’s or 6550’s. Or is it a straight swap?
Bump this one back to the top, looking for an answer to valve inter changeability.
from Jadis via email:
"JA30 is an autobias amplifier, it does not need any adjustment when you change tubes.
Kind regards,
JADIS Service Commercial / Sales Department
Chemin du Pech
11800 VILLEDUBERT. FRANCE
www.jadis-electronics.com
Tel : + (33) 4.68.78.63.30
Fax : + (33) 4.68.78.85.15"