Calling all Aesthetix Callisto / Io Owners

I have owned an Io (standard version with 1 power supply) for a little over a year. I replaced all the tubes in the audio chassis with Telefunken tubes and this was a huge improvement. And this week I took delivery of a Callisto (signature with 1 power supply).

1: Since I also have another line stage here (BAT 31SE) I would like to try both of the Aesthetix power supplies for the Io to see if I ultimately want to go with two supplies here. I would also like to try both power supplies in the Callisto to hear what is gained over just one P.S. But I see that the power cables between the PowerSupply chassis and the Io have different pinouts than the cables used to the Callisto. Are the power supplies interchangeable or are they pinned specifically for either the Io or Callisto?

2: Are there tubes within the Callisto that significantly benefit from tube rolling?

3: Has anyone done a shootout between the Standard and Signature Io? .... and what were the differences?

4: On the Callisto, when I move the "Right Level" control, there is a slight crackle/static sound from full attenuation to the first step and then again in the next 2-3 steps. From then on the noise is gone. I have swapped tubes between the L & R channels, swapped power cables between L & R, tried using a different set of inputs, swapping outputs to opposite amp inputs, etc. The problem stays with the right side. Does the right level control need to be "cleaned"?

Thank you in advance for any input here.

John
jafox
Exlibris, there is a pretty significant difference between an Io Signature and the standard Io in that the Signature version delivers greater resolution, more neutral presentation and improved high frequency extension, among other things. Tube choices will certainly change the sonic signature as well. How this translates into what you may be hearing while listening only to the high level input of the standard Io with volume controls, I can't answer.

Albert Porter and others have noted that the addition of Callisto Signature as the linestage (compared to an Io Signature with volume controls) adds materially to overall dynamics and soundstage capabilities. I've not heard the comparison myself, but I trust Albert's comments.
Rushton, thank you. I don't think I'll get a chance to hear a Callisto signature in my system, however.
Just received an IO with volume controls with two power supplies, previously had VTL 7.5 MK 2 with Gryphon Legato Phone stage.

Source is Rockport Sirius 3 with Clearaudio Goldfinger.

The IO sounds beautiful and a considerable improvment, we only have one other source (CD) is the addition of the Callisto with 2 x power supplies really any better than this?

The IO sounds beautiful and a considerable improvement, we only have one other source (CD) is the addition of the Callisto with 2 x power supplies really any better than this?

Yes, In fact a Callisto with single power supply added to the Io will boost your performance. I have personally tested the Io with several preamps and the improved performance is directly related to the quality of the preamp added.

I must say the Audio Research Ref 2 with NOS tubes was a very good upgrade although not as grand as a Callisto. I have not heard the ARC Ref 3 in my system with an Io but would like to.

Congratulations on your upgrade, do you know what tubes are in your Io, original or premium NOS?
Rushton,
I did eventually have a Callisto Signature in my system for a few weeks. It is an incredible component. I'm using an Atma-Sphere MP-1 with my Atma-Sphere MA-2 amps right now. As expected there is great synergy between the two.
The MP-1 drives and controls (grips) my MBL 101Es better than any other preamp I've tried. I know it's odd to think of a preamp 'controlling' speakers but the difference between the MP-1 and other preamps in this regard (including the Blowtorch that I owned) is not subtle.