Vac Avatar or Cary SLI-80

I am looking to purchase an avatar or the Cary sli-80 but I can't make up my mind which would be best for the long haul. The amp will drive a pair of Aulos. Any suggestions out there? Thanks, Barron
barron
hi Skuras,

How can you be sure the differences you heard were not due to the different speakers ?

Larry
Cary V12 uninspired? Flat? I don't think so. It has Cary "magic". Can't speak about the VAC, as I have not heard any, but Cary has every bit of magic that I am looking for. The way it sounds you can't go wrong with Cary or VAC.
Good luck and happy listening
Jeff
I own a Cary V12i and find it quite musical. I have just paired it with a Cary SLP-98L and am using a pair of Spendor 1/2e speakers in the set-up. I'm familiar with VAC and they have a great reputation. Your decision to buy Cary or VAC should come down to how each integrates with your existing set-up. Some brands work better with certain equipment than others. If possible, best to home audition both with your speakers and decide from there.
Larry...

i can't be sure that the differences were not due to different speakers. in fact, it is very likely that much of the difference is due to the speakers. i can only tell you what i heard in each circumstance, and thought that my experience might be of some worth to a person trying to compare these two products.

Jdod...

note that the cary product in question is the sli-80 integrated amp. i did not make any comments regarding other cary products.