Older higher end or newer mid-fi...better bargain?

Say you have $1500 to spend on a 2 channel pre amp/power amp combo or integrated amp: Would you opt for an older, for example, NAIM system (e.g. 62/hi-cap/140 c. mid 90s) or a newer, say CREEK 5350se integrated...or what? Where is the most performance for $1500 to be had? I listen to CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and LPs.
soulbrass
In your case (and almost as a general rule) old hi-end may serve you better, I switched some years ago from an almost new Audiolab 8000 to Naim separetes (half size versions 32.5/xps/180) and improvements were not subtle.

Fernando
I second the Pass power with Cary/AES pre combo.

I use a AES (Cary) AE-3 DJH signature pre with the newer and sonically better Pass Labs Aleph 30 poweramp.

The Alephs are single ended pure class A poweramps with 30/30 per channel. It has 26 db gain with the RCA inputs (20db gain with balanced inputs). The Aleph 30 has higher input impedance than the older Aleph 3, so it mates with tube preamps better.

The AES (Cary's sister company and a better value) AE-3 DJH is their signature tube preamp. It has 20 db gain not 12 like most preamps so it compensates for the Alephs 30 watts.

The synergy is awesome.

An interesting note is that when Stereophile reviewed the Aleph 3 and said it was one of the best poweramps available that the reviewer used the older AES AE-2 preamp.

AES/Cary AE-3 DJH preamp used $800 (1200 new)
Pass Labs Aleph 3 or 30 used $900 (2000-2500 new)
Old is best, my whole system bar Shanling CDT-100 is 2nd hand and I have never had reliability problems. Go for the large, reputable, established manufacturers. I have always had helpful fast response from Pass and Conrad Johnson, but I have heard good things about small new companies especially Rogue, Monarchy audio.
I 2nd the view about Pass labs power, I use the Aleph 3, clearly only suitable for sensitive speakers, mine are Living Voice Avatars. I also use a Conrad Johnson Prem 17, but some of the older premier models 10/14 are very cheap and excellent.
I enjoy buying used, there's more searching and interest, going to your local dealer is boring.
For even less money get some well modified Dynaco tube gear. It will show how little we have progressed in 40 years.