VTL vs Jolida

I just listened to my first tube amp and loved it; VTL HT-150 and B&W 703s. I heard good things about Jolida. How does VTL and Jolida compare? I really liked the B&Ws and also Martin Logan. My listening area is 17X22, 18' ceilings, wood floors with an area rug and furniture in front of the speakers. I also need a preamp for a DVD and tuner and perhaps to a TV for movies. Not sure how that would work out. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
jon_fl
You're looking at some pretty power hungry speakers there. Also, Jolida (and I've heard 4-5 of their products) are rather 'classic tube' sounding - kinda soft and difuse. By difuse I mean not a lot of resolution and dynamics which may be a good thing depending on the amp and CD player used. VTL makes some powerful amps which would most likely sound more involving with quality speakers like the B&Ws. Cary is also a rather classic tube sound but more guts, resolution, and musicality than any of the Jolida integrateds I've heard. However, it of course depends on which Cary you get.

Since you've now expanded to three tube lines, why not check out the other 35? (Just kidding! Be smart and pick out three you're interested in and don't drive yourself crazy with "choice obsession".) You might want to check out a Mesa Baron since it can be run in 4 different modes with all or various forms of pentode and triode operation.

Finally, be careful if you buy through A'gon or any other used audio website. Double and triple check whomever you're buying from and e-mail if you have any concerns or want tips on how to avoid getting ripped off.
To Pmwoodward ref Martin Logan's. How powerful an amp needed and aren't Martin Logans placement sensitive? Doesn't the quality suffer if you move out of the sweetspot? I really like MLs, but this is what I heard. I like the sound of MLs on SS and can only imagine the sound with tubes. VTL has an 85W tube amp. Would that work? I heard MLs needed a lot of power. More than the B&Ws? Which MLs do you have? The room they are going in have 18' ceilings and is 17X22.
I've only heard the smaller M-Ls and in small to medium rooms. Even then they could not replicate the body and solidity that real music has. I would think you'd need something like the Statements for your rather large room, but again, I've not had experience with of them.

I also have always heard M-Ls with larger SS amps like Classe and SS McIntosh. Not sure of the driveability but am pretty sure you'll need power and voltage to get the best from them.
Try Quicksilver and Rogue. Yes, the build quality and the fact (I believe) that VTL is made in the USA versus (?) China for Jolida (or even ASL) is likely worth the price difference between the two brands.

I'd look to Quicksilver or Rogue audio for some sanely priced 'toob' gear. You might not like the sound of a "cheap" tube amp. But who knows.

also check out the iTube line. They were going to be market by Innersound at some time. But I think they sell direct now. ALso consider Conrad Johnson (CJ).

Happy hunting.

Aaron
Are the Maggies and Martin Logan's comparable to each other? One of my concerns is good music in the room from several locations and not just sitting in the speakers' sweetspot. Is a box speaker generally better in that regard?

Will a similarly powered tube amp generally push more power than a SS amp?