ARC users please

I have been trying many different budget preamps just for the fun of it. I have stumbled upon a Audio Research SP7.
This thing sounds amazing. Any preamp under $1000.00 that I put in my system doesn't come close to the sound of the SP7.
Everything else I try sounds like it is in mono compared to the SP7. I don't know how to describe the difference. The sound is more alive and every instrument is in place.
My question, is this a signiture ARC sound ?
I have read good and bad reviews of the LS3. So I am not sure if I need to look for a certain model to upgrade to, but still keep that synergy in my system that I have now.
Thanks, Scott
scottht
I am using ARC LS2B in a solid state system. Also tried it with tube system. I'm very happy with sound. They can be had for $800 or less used.
The SP7 is an older solid state ARC preamp. I agree with Newbee, the SP6 and the SP8 are much better sounding. I have played around with the SP7 and I really wasn't impressed with it. I always found it very sterile sounding compared to ARC's tube offerings. From what I remember the SP7 dates from the early to middle 80's. Hope this helps
Hello Scott. Audio Research has made reference grade preamps for more than 3 decades, dating back to the early 1970's when they first introduced the SP-2, an all tubed unit with a phono stage. The all tubed SP-3 series was introduced in 1976 and this preamp literally turned the high end industry on it's ear and established ARC company as a bonified high end company offering refence grade equipment. However, the sp-7 has never been considered the ARC signature sound and never will be for that matter. The sp-7 was the last offering of ARC's venture into the solid state camp. It's circuitry was actually the 3rd revision of the original sp-4 first introduced in 1976 and followed with the sp-5 introduced in 1977. None of their solid state offerings were ever taken very seriously and they discontinued all of their solid state preamps ending with the SP-7. You didn't mention the other preamps under a $1000 you were comparing it to. The good thing here is any of the ARC solid state preamp can be had for under $300 buckeroos with a little searching. To be candid here....In comparison to any of their sp series tubed preamps of that era would be like comparing hamburger to fille mignon. The Original sp-3 series will stomp on the sp-7 in every way and is in a whole higher league sonically. As newbee correctly pointed out... the sp-8 can be found for under a $1000. If you liked the sound of the SP-7 you will soil your pants after the first few bars of music with the sp8 as well as the sp-6 and sp-3. Search any of them out and give em a listen.
Scott
Go to www.arcdb.ws to find info on this and any other unit that ARC ever made.I don't agree with the comments expressed above regarding the ARC solid state pre-amps.I do own the LS3-B and love it.
Regards
George