Jadis amps and pre-amps still competitive?

How does Jadis amps (Defy7, JA 200, ect.) and pre-amps (JPL MK2, 80 MC), compare with the more popular amps of today from VTL, LAMM, and Audio Research. You don't hear much about them anymore. I remember that they were highly regarded when Mr. Victor Goldstein was the importer.
jazz_nut
Competitive? Yes, very. Frank Garbe took over distribution of Jadis in the mid 90's and didn't advertise/market in the same fashion that Victor had. It's a little sad because the 200's are one of the best sounding amplifiers out there, in my humble opinion.

On a side note, Victor used to have a technician named DaHong that would fly to your location and perform factory mods to Jadis gear, (it wasn't cheap). What ever happened to DaHong?
I just dusted off and retubed my Jadis Orchestra Reference two weeks ago with a quad of JJ E34L tubes. The stock tubes are Ei KT90.

Oh my goodness! With the front end and cables that I didn't have a few years ago, the sound through my Coincidents was better than my Granites or AtmaSpheres. I mean, it was incredible. The notes were more tonally right than I have ever heard. It was perfect!
Trelja: A friend here also applied some bias adjustment to his DA5 amps following Jadis instructions. I am not a tube expert (my friend is), but I remember he placed the bias just in the upper limit for the EL34 and sound immproved a lot for the good.

Fernando
Flg2001, the DA5 is not autobias? I always thought that outside of the Orchestra and Orchestra Reference were autobias.

Although, I may know what you are talking about. I used to read that the JA200 had some kind of adjustment for "bias" on the transformer, which technicians would set based on the voltage coming out of your wall (whether it was 115V or 120V).

Nevertheless, as you said, I'm sure the amp sounded good!
Trelja: I have my weekly audio-buddies meeting and will get the specifics for you.

Fernando