Limited budget-spend more money on amp or preamp?

Hi. I am new to decent sound. I have a OK pair of full-range speakers (Von Schweikert VR-2000's) and are now looking for something to power them with. I am very limited with funds now, and am looking for decent used gear (both an amp and preamp). Out of the two components, would money be better spent on a good amp that I will be happy with for several years and a budget preamp, or the other way around? I have been looking at both a Bryston .4B Linestage and a Bryston 3B/4B amp, but I can't afford both. If I go with the .4B preamp, I will have to cut corners on the amp (probably an Adcom 545II). Likewise, if I get the 4B amp, I will have to get a cheaper preamp-something used under $150.

What combo would give me the best sound? Thanks in advance!
dawgcatching
Get the Byston amp and go with an Adcom preamp which can be had for your 150 and gives you a tuner and a phono stage. The Adcom 545 is somewhat bright.
Be sure to put at least 50% of your budget towards your soucre. It's the most important. Speakers are second.
speakers first, then source. Preamp first, then amp. Speakers are the biggest deal.. you think your speakers are just "OK?"- go with a used Yba Integre amp. 50 of the best ss watts out there. Your problem is solved. Kills the Bryston. I owned both. No comparison...don't have any experience with Adcom. peace, warren
Given those budget constraints, I would go with the best amp I could get & use a passive. There are several passives to pick from in the $150.00 range or you might even consider attenuators. This is taking into consideration the other components in your system will not change for the time being. I also recommend only changing one piece at a time, so you can get used to it & see how it fits in with your overall plan.

If you haven't already done so, try & tune your room as best you can to realize the full potential of your gear.

Good luck!