oppo 105d mod or look for a new cd player ?

Had dealer install a set of wilson watt/puppy 7's. My system is small comprising of pass labs xa30.5 amp and x1 preamp. My source today is a oppo 105d. I got this since it works for the kids movies etc.. but I listen to 2 channel cd music through it. My dealer advised next upgrade should be my source to a dedicated cd player vs the oppo.
My question is .. lets say budget is $3k-$4K.. would people advise an oppo upgrade (EVS or Modwringht) or a dedicated cd player for the money ? Thanks in advince for any thoughts..
fsyme
Many great suggestions here! But my vote is for a high end CD player. With under $4k you can get a very fine stand alone SACD/CD player, like one of the Esoterics, the Ayre, high end Marantz, personally I just got the Cary 306. I thought my Sony was high end, until I heard the Cary! And it has D/A in and out, so it's DAC can be used by other gear, ie computer. Keep the Oppo for playing all other formats, and buy a used CD player of the high end variety. A few reviews should help you decide which ones might lean toward your tastes. My 2 cents, worth about a cent and a half.
At ZD 542
I am unfortunately deeply aware of the DAC as a critical piece of gear to the new(er) generation of audiophiles. I am active on Head-Fi where I would venture a guess that the vast majority use computer servers and the audio component of choice is called a DAC/AMP.
Yes in view of this trend the industry is now paying serious to DACS are they are very very important. It should be noted that the Head Fi community does not buy very expensive, high end gear, probably because most are young and just starting to amass their fortunes I still use a CD player for much of my music with the so so dac and it's fair transport. A consequence of a miserable divorce, with a huge change in my living space and income will make getting a truly fine CD player a questionable endeavor. If I follow the pattern of a head fier I too may end up buying only a dac. My previous comment reflected a situation when I was buying good CD players. I even have one my ex won't yield out of spite.
Personally i'm waiting on the future replacement for the Oppo 105 (not the Super Darbeen version, or whatever dinkee update comes out in the meantime), then I might send that to Dan for the full truth mods (just to spin the occasional SACD & play dvd's). But to answer the OP's question, I would look for a 2nd hand Accuphase DP-75V..gorgeous looks & still a classic. They can be found for about $4k in good shape if you're patient. Here is a link fyi - http://www.accuphase.com/pdf/dp75v_e.pdf
Fsyme. Quick question. I suggested a used Alpha Dac. You've had no comment on anything suggested. Reason?
07-28-15: Ptss
Fsyme. Quick question. I suggested a used Alpha Dac. You've had no comment on anything suggested. Reason?
Dealer doing market research?