Good tube preamp w/ HT bypass

I've finally decided to snag an AVM30 for my pre-pro, and aragon 8008 amps for my amplification (or Sherbourne 7/2100 - I bought both, and will sell whichever I like less).

However, I keep hearing about tubes! I don't have any experience with them, but I'd love to give it a try. I've read that by combining SS amplification with tube preamps, I can preserve the bass control of the SS w/ the midrange of tubes.

SO - are there any preamps you can recommend to me to try and/or demo? I need it to have HT bypass, so I can use my HT rig separately from this...

I've read the Rogue Magnum 66 is good... The audio research sp-16l is supposed to be good... And the TAD-150 was recommended to me (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TAD-150.html) but I can't find any other information on it.

Non tube pres that have been recommended to me are the sonic euphoria plc and adcom 750; but i'm not sure if either would better the avm30.

Oh; budget would be $500-1000, used or new. Thanks for any recommendations!
kincade
I don't know too much about the belles; can you tell me a little more? It's SS and tube? Have you heard it against any of the other units above?

I looked at the mccormack; it's definitely SS. Good looking unit though!

Sonic; can you tell me a little more about the sonic frontiers units? Have you heard it against any of the units I listed above?

Thanks to both of you!
i owned an arc sp-16l before i decided to sell it. it was a great tubed pre with ht bypass. i highly recommend it. i have no experience with the other pre's you list. i'm currently waiting on the arrival of a supratek chardonnay tubed pre for my two channel system.
Anyone have experience with the Anthem Pre 2L? It looks to be priced similar to the Rogue Magnum 66 ($5-700 used).

Kevin - is ARC an acronym for audio research?
I'll second the Second Frontiers, Line 1 or Line 2 (the Line 3, which is the best one, appears to be out of the price range you are looking at). Build quality is excellent, has HT bypass, very cool remote, will match very well with your AVM, and is an excellent preamp for a tube beginner. I used a Line 1 in my combo Music/HT room and really loved up. Good luck!
BAT VK3i with remote would be at teh top of your price range. It has an HT (unity gain) bypass setting.