Berning ZH270 Synergy

You often see the Berning ZH270 amp paired with Merlin speakers. What other speakers pair well with the Berning amp? In other words, is it more flexible in this regard than we're led to believe? Thanks.
budrew
Congratulations Nkj,

I've had my Berning with all the upgrades for several months. Just wait till it breaks in. You ain't heard nothing yet.

Also, I recently rolled NOS Telefunken 12AT7's in and more recently, NOS RCA 12AV7's. They made a huge difference, both of them. The detail and focus is amazing. With the four TF 12AT7's in place my Berning is a little cool sounding, but I love the detail. However, I may try a pair of Mullards in place of one pair of the TF for a little more warmth.

Good luck. The Berning is simply an amazing amp with very few peers. And Allan is a fountain of knowledge and a great guy ta boot!
Fiddler - i had a vintage pair of Mullard 12AT7's and found it LOVELY. still very detiled and thansparent, but in my system it was far more pleasing than the tele's....
Fiddler,

I just received my ECC801S's NIB from europe, Allan suggests using these in the 1st position. I am gonna roll tomorrow, and will let you know. I bought Artg's, and yes the mullards are nice too, but I am gonna roll some pinch waist E180CC's form the 5stars in the 12av7 position. BTW, If you want a set of the Telefunken NIB, I got 2 pair for 300, so 150. Allan claims this is the way to go. Enjoy, I know I am.

Steve
Steve and Artg,

Thanks for the replies.

I am definitely going to try the Mullards. But I am not sure which ones. I have read mixed reviews on the Mullard 12AT7, the Sylvania Gold Brand 12AT7, the 6204 and the CV4024. I would appreciate any detailed feedback anyone can offer on any of these tubes in the Berning.

I also read that several Berning owners were using the GE 5 Star 12AV7, but when I asked Andy at Vintage Tube Service about the GE 5 Stars, he said GE 12AV7s were "crap in a glass".

He told me that RCA was the best 12AV7 ever made so I went with his advice. I will say the focus really snapped into place with the RCAs over the stock 12AV7.

I will be anxious to hear any reports on the 12AV7 position. I will stick with at least one pair of the TF 12AT7s in my ZH270, but four of them may be too much of a good thing. Time and experimentation will tell.
With all due respect to Andy, the 5965 GE 5 Stars I use do a wonderful job for me. In the never ending search for perpetual motion, the Holy Grail and the perfect sound, I will have to try these RCA's of which you speak.

As far as 12AT7's, a pair of Tele's in the front position will give you the best detail and dynamics I have yet heard. However using four Tele's will bring a clinical, dry sound that proves a little boring. Insert a pair of sweet sounding tubes like a GEC, RCA or even some GE 5 Star 12AT7's to the rear of the Tele's and I think you will have what you want. The Mullards I tried lost much of the dynamics and leading edge impact that I enjoy from this amp. Granted, there are many different Mullard 12AT7 varities out there that I have not tried. With my current tube mix, I feel no urge to experiment. It sounds amazing!

Hey, its only four months to New Years Eve!!! Where does the time go?