Berning ZH270 Synergy

You often see the Berning ZH270 amp paired with Merlin speakers. What other speakers pair well with the Berning amp? In other words, is it more flexible in this regard than we're led to believe? Thanks.
budrew

Showing 5 responses by 711smilin

I think I found it, E180cc PW Amperex, Tele Ecc801s, and 12AV7 Tele. Trips myu trigger big time.
I have NEVER like the sound of the most all 12AV7's(5965), but have found 7062's, E180CC's, and that 5869 5 star to be much better IMHO. I actually have a NOS pair of Telefunken 12AV7's which are the best in that class. I will report findings after I start rolling.

Hey, guys, what power cord are you using on the Berning?
Right now I am using the VD Master.
Fiddler,

I just received my ECC801S's NIB from europe, Allan suggests using these in the 1st position. I am gonna roll tomorrow, and will let you know. I bought Artg's, and yes the mullards are nice too, but I am gonna roll some pinch waist E180CC's form the 5stars in the 12av7 position. BTW, If you want a set of the Telefunken NIB, I got 2 pair for 300, so 150. Allan claims this is the way to go. Enjoy, I know I am.

Steve
I put a pair of E180CC Amperex PW in and WOW, I am loving it, tomorrow I will try my 1950's 6829 GE 5 Star, those are also suppose to be the bomb. I will also try the TF's ECC803S's. I will let you guys know. With the PW in, the weight around the instruments is amazing, very musical, and natural sounding. Much smoother, the voices also seem more natural.

Aint this a hoot

Smilin
Artg, I have been working on bringing an SET quality to the Berning, and tonight(at least for now)I think I have accomplished it. Ist position 6829 5 star GE, 2nd position Telefunken ECC801S, and 3rd position 1950's d getter 6201 pinch waist gold pins.

Treble no longer is fatigueing at all(no glare)MIdrange is liquid magic, and bass tight, fast, accurate. I am trying to get the sound of my favorite amp, the Wavelength Cardinal X1 with WE 300B;s, but with BALLS.

I am smilin tonight, tomorrow, who knows