Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Always nice to hear when an upgrade works out and even exceeds your expectations! It's always a bit of a risk. Looking forward to further details on your experience in due time.
I see PS Audio has a... buy a Direct Stream and get the Power Wave Transport for free. Now ,I'm not knocking the product or company... they make some very nice equipment,if not, I would not have purchased the DS and PWT. That being said,I have a hard time understanding why PSA would undermine their reputation by giving away product.

Do they make such cheap stuff that it has to be given away???

For people that pay retail or close to retail for PSA goods, it seems to me,at least,to be a slap in the face to those who ponied up and then after some time the price just falls flat on its face. I now see why the resale on PSA product is so horrible,if the company gives away their stuff then those who try to resale are looking to unload undermined boat anchors . What other high-end audio company goes to the extreme that PSA does? Come on PSA,your killing your loyal customer base...

If the retail value is to high from the get go,why not price it accordingly? I don't know,maybe I'm having a bad hair day... but this BOGO has me feeling a bit like... my loyalty to a company... with my wallet... has been violated...

ymmv...carry on
Aolmrd, I saw that offer and had a similar reaction. But I thought it was well known that some PS Audio dealers offer very steep discounts below retail prices, especially after the model has been on the market for a while. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Direct Stream eventually sells new for around $3K. The big discounts make late adopters believe they are getting a great deal (I just bought a $6K DAC for $3.2K!). Unfortunately, as the retail price falls, so do used prices. I agree, though, that this approach to pricing is not fair to "early adopters" of PS Audio's new models or to those who are not familiar with how the company's pricing strategy works. After all, they were selling new Perfect Wave DACs at full price one week, then announced that it was being discontinued, then slashed the price on the remaining inventory massively. Be glad you weren't one of the last people to buy a new Perfect Wave MK2 at full list price. Yes, PS Audio makes some very good equipment -- especially if purchased at the "street" price rather than the retail price. But their pricing strategy seems designed to alienate
All good points but really this DAC was supposed to change the digital world. An outside the box design that no one can touch at under $20k. I really liked the DAC but the MKII was a $3999 not a $6k DAC and this DAC was supposed to really compete with the big boys and supposedly better most of them or I thought they said all of them, not sure I was to busy drinking the koolaid to pay that close attention.

So if this does settle at $3k which makes it then that means dealer cost would be somewhere around $1500 to $1800. That is why the Bricasti's of the world are not just better DACs they are built and operate on a different planet but I made the Mistake buying into all of PS Audio's marketing of 10 x DSD the 1 Bit the programmable gateway, actually thought then I maybe worried about liking it better than a Bricasti.

I mean in theory a super well designed and ground breaking $6k DAC maybe able to compete with a $9k DAC that uses off the shelf regular DAC chips right? I thought the DirectStream sounded great and also I was drinking the koolaid. I was so wrong the Bricasti is still breaking in so I still want to give it more time but guys I was caught up in all the hype. There isn't even remotely any competitiveness between these two DACs. I don't mean to sound course I really don't but this Bricasti to me has not just outperformed the DirectStream it has completely and utterly pulverized it to the point that it is embarrassing.

If the Bricasti is a $9k DAC and the DirectStream DAC is a $3k DAC then all I can say at this point is save your money and look for a used Bricasti that uses the same DAC chips as some other $500 DACs. I am embarrassed that I thought all that design 10 x DSD stuff mattered because it doesn't. Just spend 5 minutes listening to a Bricasti it will tell you that as it did for me...

Fsmithjack,
Reading your comments highlights what's wrong with highend. I compared the M1 two days ago to a directstream in my friends system. Yes, the M1 is better, but to my ears to say now that the Directstream is a piece a junk is laughable. I submit audiophiles exaggerate small differences to make themselves feel superior. The Directstream DAC is very good and as good as the M1 is, I guarantee there are better.