bat vk 3i vs arc ls2b

$700-$1000 whic pre is better?

$700.-$1000 which do i want?
dpm2340
You need to tell people what attributes/qualities/sonics you seek here. At this price, there will be compromises in many places. And what is missing with yoru current line stage? And why have you singled out these two models vs. others? "Better" for you could be quite different than that for someone else. I've done enough bashing on the ARC LS2B on this site already, but I have not heard the 3i so I can not comment on it specifically. But both companies have made some great line stages in the last 10 years as well. Please do a search on these two products to get a feel for what people have to say about each of these.
John
tough call....points to consider. in regards to the sonic signature, you can "roll" the tubes

tubes
arc ls2b - 1 - 6922/7308 tube
bat- 4 6922/7308 tubes ( more $$$$ to retube with premium tubes) and 2 6v6's ( can still get premiums reasonabley)

remote
arc ls2b III remote- goes for big $$$$$$
Bat 3vki - often included(factory upgrade is no longer available)

phono
some units have have it installed. the bat 3vki can be upgraded for $500 (awesome deal imo )

Upgradeabiltity
Bat 3 vki - add phono, super tube option, 6 pack option
ARC 2B- non

Design
The BAT is a true full dual differential balanced full "tube" design ( if you have balanced inputs on your amp- this is a biggie.
The ARC2 is a psuedo balanced "hybrid" design

Power Cord
BAT- your choice
ARC- Factory or modifaction time

imo, the only drawback to the BAT is the 4 6922/7308's.

I would go for the BAT ( i have had both in my house) - the ls2b is very good but it has a slight "grain" on the top. The BAT is a newer design and BAT service is impeccable.

Hope that helps,

mike
Mikesinger nice post! Bat 3 vki Upgradeabiltity super tube option, 6 pack option - Is this option really available from BAT? I have never heard anyone mention it for the VK-3i.