Sunfire amps

I'm looking for a beefy amp for hometheater and have been looking at sunfire amps for a while. Now they've come out with a new line of amps. I'm interested in 5 channels, so my choices are the original cinema grand signature 405x5, the cinema grand signature II 425x5 and now the 400~5. Other than minute changes in the wattage, does anyone know of any difference between these amps that would impact the sound. The sunfire website offers absolutely no information on this. I'm also interested in people's opinions as to the musicality of this amplifier as I'm going to stick my pioneer 47a in this setup for multichannel DVD-A and SACD.
ultraviolet
I'm not familiar with the latest series of Sunfire amps, but i do know that there were several design revisions for the series II amps. This included a sturdier power supply and some capacitor upgrades, so the revisions made should be quite beneficial. I would have to assume that those same revisions were incorporated into the newer series of amps, but that would be pure speculation on my part. You might want to call up Sunfire technical support and talk to Robert there. He's the most knowledgable person in that department that i've found. While he's as honest as his position will allow him to be, he's also very business-like. As such, pick and choose your questions carefully and you can get the answers out of him that you seek. He will tell you what you want to know, but he's not going to spill his guts of his own volition.

It should be noted that the earlier versions had the voltage / current outputs for the right, left and the center outputs. This allows you to maintain a consistent "voice" across the fronts IF using both taps on the mains. While some may find this to be a "Sideshow Bob" gadget type of option, others may find the added versatility a great feature.

From what i can tell on the website, the newest versions only offer the voltage / current outputs for the right and left, leaving the center with a potentially different sonic flavour. I don't know how important these options are to you, but the added versatility of such an arrangement can come in handy in some installations. As you may know, many recordings and soundtracks are recorded somewhat "hot" sounding. Combine this with brighter sounding metal domes and you have the makings of a system that is sibilant and fatiguing. Having the option to tame such a combo by taking advantage of the voltage / current options is quite convenient.

As a side note, i'm using a modified Sunfire Signature 600 for the mains on my HT system and a modified Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature on the center, surrounds and subs. They sound effortless at any given volume, can drive whatever you throw at them and typically run cool as a cucumber. I would suggest making sure that you have adequate AC to run these amps if you want to take full advantage of their potential. If you perform one "tweak" to one of these amps, i would recommend placing it on some type of non-thermal sensitive footer. The bottom plate acts as a heatsink, so raising the amp allows more air-flow underneath it. This will lower operating temperature and increase the lifespan of the unit. Sean
>
Sean, what mods did you have done to your Sunfire Signature? Who did the mods and at what cost? What did the mods achieve for your system?

I owned a pair of Carver Silver 9t monoblocks....sold them and bought a Sunfire Signature. The Sunfire Signature was better all around, but it did not have the bass slam that the monoblocks had. So, I went out and bought two pair of the Silver 9t monoblocks and bi-amped my system. I kept the Sunfire Signature and I'm thinking of buying another one to try out the vertical bi-amp setup that I've heard about...mitch
Hey Sean, good to see you around. What mods have you had done to the Sig 600? I have a Sig Stereo II and was curious what changes you've made (or had made) and the impact of them.