Dummy Load

I have a new pair of Odyssey Extreme monoblocks that I am trying to break in. I was told that I could build a "dummy load" so I could run the amps 24/7 without the speakers hooked up. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
rcj1231
Looks like Herman and i were posting at the same time. We are both on the same page, i just went the "over-kill" route : )

You can achieve much the same effect that i mentioned above by doubling up two of the resistors per channel that Herman linked to. This would give you a 4 ohm load with 40 watts of power handling, which should be plenty. Not only is this a LOT cheaper, i'm sure that you're closer to a Radio Shack than you are to Parts Express. Convenience and timing count, so Herman scores more points on this one than i do : ) Sean
>
Rcj be patient with your extremes, IT takes 3 months
before they open up,Its very frustrating to burn them
in.I almost gave up and trade them.They are very
very good amp, Mine are almost a year now.
Thanks Herman and Sean. I will stop by Rat Shack and pick up 4 as suggested. I have some banana speaker plugs like these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=091-1260&DID=7.

Do I just pair up the resistors and clamp the leads into the banana plugs then plug them in? Sounds easy enough.

Would it be any safer using 3 of these resistors per channel?

Rick
yes, all you have to do is connect them as you mentioned. That is, so long as the leads are long enough to allow bending to reach the amps' binding posts.

Using three of them in parallel will produce an appr 2.2 ohm load, which is kind of low right off the bat. On top of that, you would now be pulling quite a bit more current, causing both the amp and resistors to heat up. Stick with two of them in parallel and see how that works.

Other than that, i wonder how richly these amps are biased? I know that Klaus is not much for spec's, but i'm curious as to where these amps switch from Class A over to Class B??? Sean
>
Jayctoy,

Thanks for your encouragement. I know it is going to take some time to break these in. ....Patience....Problem for me is I only get a few hours a week to play my system. At that rate, it will take months to pile up any time on the amps. I am not able to leave the system running through the speakers when I'm not home (WAF). So if I can run the system quietly, I can run it 24/7 and get the first 300 hours or so out of the way quickly.

I was home all last week and managed to play them quite a bit, so I'm up to about 70 hours on the amps. They are getting a bit more dynamic. There is a muddy distorted image in a small area of the middle frequencies, most noticable playing acoustic guitar tracks. I really want that part to go away. Patience....Patience...

All of the break-in issues aside, I can tell these amps are going to be special. I can hear flashes of brilliance in them.