Dummy Load

I have a new pair of Odyssey Extreme monoblocks that I am trying to break in. I was told that I could build a "dummy load" so I could run the amps 24/7 without the speakers hooked up. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
rcj1231

Showing 4 responses by rcj1231

Thanks Herman and Sean. I will stop by Rat Shack and pick up 4 as suggested. I have some banana speaker plugs like these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=091-1260&DID=7.

Do I just pair up the resistors and clamp the leads into the banana plugs then plug them in? Sounds easy enough.

Would it be any safer using 3 of these resistors per channel?

Rick
Jayctoy,

Thanks for your encouragement. I know it is going to take some time to break these in. ....Patience....Problem for me is I only get a few hours a week to play my system. At that rate, it will take months to pile up any time on the amps. I am not able to leave the system running through the speakers when I'm not home (WAF). So if I can run the system quietly, I can run it 24/7 and get the first 300 hours or so out of the way quickly.

I was home all last week and managed to play them quite a bit, so I'm up to about 70 hours on the amps. They are getting a bit more dynamic. There is a muddy distorted image in a small area of the middle frequencies, most noticable playing acoustic guitar tracks. I really want that part to go away. Patience....Patience...

All of the break-in issues aside, I can tell these amps are going to be special. I can hear flashes of brilliance in them.
Sean,

OK, 2 it is. I really don't know where the bias is set. I'll be talking with Klaus tomorrow so I'll ask him. Thanks again.

Rick
I have built the dummy load using the 20 watt 8 ohm Radio Shack resistors, 2 per channel. I mounted them on some screw down terminals and ran about 3' feet of speaker wire off of them. I managed to mount the terminals on wood blocks so there would be some airflow around the resistors. They have been running for about 2 hours with no noticable build up of heat. So I'll run these babies 24/7 and see if this speeds up the break in process at all.

Thanks again for all of you help!

Rick