What steps forward were actually steps backward?

I'm always fascinated to read about how many "upgrades" were improvements, and that very few were actually disappointing and could be considered a "downgrade". Are we all so knowledgeable and incisive that all our hardware purchases are always for the better?

Who is willing to admit that their "upgrade" was a "downgrade"?
128x128nrenter
Spendor SP100's. I read so many positive reviews that I had to own a pair. Somehow the reviews failed to indicate that, in a small room, they would not put out bass without being driven loud enough to loosen teeth.
Although no one is always right in any field, I have never regretted a purchase made after first listening in my own systems.
Since we all buy something, sooner or later, before hearing at home, trying to stick with what is recommended on Audiogon, or more than one of the "professional" reviewers, allows for re-sale to someone where the system synergy is better.
Home trials can be very helpful in finding high value for the money, and in training our ears to hear differences that a newcomer to the audio listening hobby considers only jargon, or stock phrases.
New Thiel 2.4's. After months of breaking them in with all the 'right' components backing them, I bailed. On less than perfect material they were just too harsh & revealing. The treble energy always had me reaching for the volume knob or listening from another room in the house. I will admit they were incredible on the right material, just not my cup of tea overall.
Although I am coming around to the sound of my new Synergistic research cables I miss my MIT reference.
I dont think the Synergistic cables are any better or worse but the MIT's just worked better with my equipment choices.
I am VERY happy with them, but would switch back in a heartbeat!
Good news is everything else has been a success!!!

I also miss my ARC Ref II preamp!
But not over the Spectral, would like to have both.
Vader007, I would think the Synergistic Designer Reference cables would be way too bright with your set-up (unless that's what you like!). In my limited experience, if that's what you're hearing, you might want to at least try the Synergistic Resolution References.... half as expensive, but warmer. When I was listening to cables from the Cable Company I was told that when their customers tried Res Ref and Designer Ref side-by-side they never choose Designer...