opinion on electronics for Vandy 2Ce Sig

I recently sold some JM Labs and a reciever to move into some Vandys and...

Early this week I auditioned the Vandersteen 2Ce Sig. They will be mine, oh yes, they WILL be mine.
Shortly after Christmas, I will purchase a pair (here on audiogon probably) I need some opinions on electronics.

Budget = ~$1500
I need a pre and amp both. I can probably go a little higher, but lower the cost, the sooner I am listening.

Volume: Once in a while, I like to listen LOUD! I suspect that 100wpc won't be enough...perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I DON'T want to run out of headroom.

Room: Strange...living room with 20ft vaulted ceilings, very oddly shaped and also open to the rest of the condo, but three steps down (sunken).

Music: I listen to everything, but I really like the double bass of bluegrass music, Knopfler's guitar, keys and horns of Steely Dan and Alison Krauss + Union Station's beautiful harmonies. When I auditioned the Vandys, I thought that the highs needed some more extention....dare I say a little more brightness. I don't want to loose that midbass though. The audition equip. was PS Audio CDP, Anthem pre/amp combo (not sure the model).

I will almost certianly buy used here on Audiogon.

Here are some brands I am considering in no particular order, and would like comments + suggestions: NOTE: I haven't heard ANY of this stuff, and since I am going to buy used, I won't have the ability to audition before I buy...it's going to come down to performance/price.

McCormack
Conrad Johnson
Musical Fidelity
Bryston
Classe
Aragon
Ayre
Rogue Audio

I am also not allergic to tubes, but my wife says she doesn't want 'test tube experiments' in the living room. It seems any tube gear would have to have a case, much to my dismay.

Any and all opinions are welcome, but please don't suggest other speakers. I sat in the audition chair for two hours with a big smile on my face, so they are definitely it as far as speakers go.

Thanks,
Z
zstokes
One really nice combination I've heard is the Vandy's with the BEL (Brown Electronics Labs) 1001 mkII and an Audible Illlusions Modulus II preamp. You don't see the BEL's come up that often, and if one did, I might be competing for it! It's a Class A SS amp, and I think it only has 50 WPC, but they are "good watts". I haven't heard it pushed to really loud, but this was a great combination with smooth tonal balance and good soundstaging. Do a search on audio asyslum for BEL 1001, and you'll see some discussion. To get you started:

http://db.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=amp&m=6547
While a they are great values with tight punchy bass and liquid, extended upper frequencies the McCormack amps can be a bit up front, and that's just what the Vandy's need! Perhaps two of the best values in audio that though developed independently seem to have been made for each other. Highly recommended. I should warn you the Vandy's while satisfacory are not the last word in playing LOUD. If you'r after volume you might want to stay away from passive pre's, and might want to consider bi-amping.
I will second the McCormack amp (either a DNA.5 or a DNA 1)Mate then with an Audible Illusions L-1 preamp(if you are using line source only) It is a tube preamp but it is fully encased. These components form an unbelievable synergy that will be hard to beat. I prefer the .5 @ 100w/ch 8 ohms BUT it doubles down to 200w/ch into 4 ohms. The Vandersteens dip to about 3.2 ohms so this should be more than enough power.
The Audible adds a little tube majic to the McCormack which can sound a touch thin in the mids. It also smooths out the tiny touch of roughness in the McCormack also.
One caveat about the Vandersteen's, they will NOT do low bass all that loud (about 90db) without muckin up. Don't be fooled to think they will. They are designed to be accurate reproducers of music(which they are) They are not rock speakers that are designed to shake the house. If you desire that, add a pair of 2Wq subs at some point.
You should be able to get both components for less than your budget. You will be well rewarded with high end sound.
Thanks Guys, this is what I am looking for.

I should have stated that I will definitely be getting a 2Wq (possibly a pair) at some point. I should have stated - loud to me is not 'Stadium Rock Concert' loud, but enough to immerse myself fully into the music. Don't know how to tell everyone what that means.

Anyway, from previous posts, and the advice here already, bi-amping a pair of McCormack .5s is looking really possible for my budget, although I would start with one and have it modded by Steve. Speaking of bi-amping, (WARNING, ROOKIE ? AHEAD!) how is that done without using some kind of Y cable or splitter? Are there preamps that purposefully come with two sets of outputs?

Thanks again,
Z
Yes, there are some pre's that come with 2 sets of outputs. Warning, you will not get the full benefit of bi-amping using the built in speakers passive cross-over, this may be even more so with 1st order crossovers like the ones in the Vandersteens. Please don't take this to mean that I'm necessarily suggesting bypassing Vandersteens own cross-overs. This may appear to be contradicting my earlier post, but, I was only trying to suggest a way to possibly, safely increase quality volume. The Vandersteens like power, but have limitations.