People who are Irrationally Afraid of tube amps

Recently I've had a tube amp For Sale on this site. It's a well respected, great amp from a major mfg. I've owned it for 3 years, with absolutely no problems, only enjoyment. I'm only selling it because I sold the speakers I used it with, & my current speakers are a lot more power-hungry. And it's the 2nd tube amp I've owned, my first being a really early model VTL ST-85 that was several years old when I bought it, then I had it for 5 years, & the only problem I had in all that time was replacing a fuse once. And I know almost nothing about electronics, but I learned how to use a multi-meter & successfully biased & replaced tubes in both amps.

Here's the thing: Almost every person who has written to me about my amp for sale asks a zillion questions, you know the routine, e-mails back & forth, then finally says they are too freaked out at the possibility of replacing tubes someday to buy it, whining about the (relatively modest) expense, etc. (And my amp has new tubes!!). Now, these queries are from presumably experienced A'goners because most of them have a large no. of positive feedback ratings here. I mean, we're not dealing with the average shopper at Circuit City, presumably.

My questions are: 1. Why do experienced A'goners waste so much time shopping for tube gear if they're freaked out over the potential traumatic effect that replacing tubes may have on them someday? There's plenty of SS gear FS if that's what they want. 2. Why do many even relatively experienced audiophiles still believe in the "tube hassles" myth? 3. Are there no tube afficiandos who are willing to put up with a minor inconvience every few years?

I feel like putting a warning in the next ad I run for a tube amp: WARNING: THIS DEVICE CONTAINS HIGHLY VOLATILE "TUBES", WHICH MAY BLOW AT ANY SECOND & COULD DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD! USE AT YOUR OWN PERIL, PREFERABLY IN A NON-POPULATED AREA. EVEN IF THEY DON'T KILL YOU, THE TRAUMA OF REPLACING THE "TUBES" SOMEDAY COULD REQUIRE YEARS OF PSYCHOTHERAPY, & MAY BANKRUPT YOU & YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY.

Well, at least that might discourage the "tire kickers". Now, if I could just afford those Cary 805C mono-blocs I've been wanting for years........& thanks for listening to my rant!
steveaudio
Eldartford
Where are you located? The Berning has silenced many a spec-ulator, engineers included, maybe there is a Berning customer near you.
2%THD at full output is remarkable, this is full power output THD, at 60 watts it's probably .05 and probably 3% at 77 watts, I wonder where most SS amps would spec out at 10% over there rated power output.

You need to hear it.

We heard a well respected 500 watt digital amp compared to the Berning, one sounded powerful, clean, dynamic, effortless, open and most important less compressed an distorted, prize for guessing which one it was.

I traveled 2000 miles to hear it at Tubegroover's place, with a very educated engineer from Orlando, who by the way was also sure that the big amp was going to kill the little amp.

Results,... well Tubegroover is more cocky now, ain't he :)
Eldartford

I didn't mean to come across as flip with the remark and yes, I think it is reasonable to be concerned about the distortion measurements but more reasonable to listen to the amp on its own terms without predjudice of how its measurements MIGHT affect its sound. This amp really can't be compared to other tube amps as Allan notes, it is too different in too many ways to really compare, the real surprise may be its performance relative to its poor measurements.
I think Allabhaganinfo, has hit it right. Based on my own limited experience, to say that just the presence of tubes/transistors can make everything right, is just as silly as saying that just the presence tubes/transistors can make everything wrong, Never mind the fact that, just as there are arguments as to the virtues of particular transistors, there are arguments as to the virtues of particular tubes. Compound this with circuit design, related parts, pre and post components, it's easy to see how difficult it is to get ones arms around the situation. Generalizations are always suspect.
Hi Gang. For those poor souls that suffer with Popatube-aphobia! Calm down... its OK. There is nothing to be ashamed of.Try 5cc's of valium about an hour before turning on the system.Hell...I have a mild phobia about big solid state amps.... I'm not ashamed...I use a little cotton baton in each ear just before listening..... instant relief!
Eldart you are confusing odd order and even order harmonic distortion, tube amps have the much more enjoyable form of distortion ,solid state has the worst sounding type .Tube amps dispite there specs are more enjoyable then solid state.At least to me and it seems many more audiophiles every year . If all you buy is gear that specs well ,I feel for you because you will have 1 hell of a sterile unmusical system.I pick stuff that sounds great then I check specs .I have learned threw much cost that gear that specs the best is no fun for me .But if you like your solid state who am I to say its no good ,its all about personal tastes and experiances .Happy listening