Digital Amps? Marketing Hype?

Call me old school, but the very notion of a digital amp does not make sense to me. Is it just marketing hype or what? As I understand it, the signal fed to the amplifier is analog (even if the source is digital, it must still be converted to analog). What would a 'digital' amp do? Amplify the signal in discrete increments?

And what about the so called 'digital speakers'? That notion seems to stretch credibility even further! (cones powered by step motors?) Your thoughts on these issues...
jlamb
Jlamb, you might want to check out the Tact web site for some interesting clarification.
"So you are right Kr4, I do need to do some research;"

Yes. There's a lot of info out there. Try the Tact and Tripath websites for a start.

"however, it seems to me that class D amps are not digital but rather 'described' as such."

Depends on your definitions. I tend to agree with you but I am not bothered by this minor shading of word use.

"I am not familiar with the digital ammps you mentioned, but it seems they behave as DAC's."

Some do.

"That is, they pesent to the speaker load a signal which approximates an analog signal. It is the physical limitations of the drivers (load) which actaully produce
an analog signal. Your thoughts?"

All have a reconstruction/HF filter at their outputs, so that they output a smoothed analog signal. Relying on the speaker/crossover to do this would be an uncertain application.
Jlamb,

I have been running a Bel Canto EVO for about a year now
and couldent imagine being with out it. I cannot find a
weakness with it. No hype just stellar performance.
I think for the price its a "steal"... I have also heard many good things about the Spectron... In fact the Spectron may be a better bang for the buck buy?.. But like i said i couldent imagine being without the Bel Canto. I havent heard much about the Tact.

Here are some direct links to the Bel Canto EVO white
paper and the Spectron amp details. These should answer
most of your questions.. I dont think someone could go
wrong with either one of these..

http://www.belcantodesign.com/index2.html
http://www.spectronav.com/tech1.html

Steve
I am interested in digital amps also. However, checking the forum archives, i found that some of the 'uncompromising' supporters of digital amps (BC evo and Spectron) replaced (some are selling them right now) their amps for the tube amps...?
Eldragon,

I think its only fair that we "drop some names" here?

Mine isnt fot sale and the only tube amps i will be
buying in the next couple years are tube guitar amp heads
and believe me they are not doing "exactly" what i
want... I would prefer a much "stronger", "faster"
response than im getting. But its the best we have now.
We are getting close to a better solution.

Steve