Need A Quick Education

I am narrowing down a short-list of preamplifiers that have the features I want. Unable to audition them, I wanted to know what a good "Signal to Noise" ratio is. I am seeing 90dB through up to 102dB. Is a higher number here better? I know that with CD and SACD/DVDA players a higher S/N ration is a good thing, is it the same with preamps? If I run an SACD player through a preamp with a 90dB (or lower), what am I losing? BTW: all the pre's I am looking at are SS and the one in the lead has a s/n of 90dB. Thanks in advance!!
treyhoss
Marakanetz,
S/N ratio isn't measured for speakers, you're thinking of sensitivity (also reported in dB).
Treyhoss,

S/N ratio is the same specification for CD players, tape decks, and pre-amps. It is the ration of the noise generated by the electronics themselves to the desired signal passing through those electronics. So, all other things being equal, the higher the S/N ratio, the better the gear since the less noise (junk, trash, grain, etc) it will add to the audio signal.

That said, the others (and you) are right. A pre- with a S/N ratio of 110 dB is not automatically better than a pre- with a S/N ratio of 100 dB. I would think that most competent designers could manage a S/N ratio of >90 dB, though.
The preamp I am leaning toward has a SNR of 90dB. The model is the Audio Refinement Pre-5 which has all the features I am looking for - no DSP and everything remains in the analogue domain. The other preamp I am looking at which will serve a similar purpose is the Sony TA-P9000es which has an SNR of >100dB. Both seem to use dedicated circuits and appear to be well built. The Audio Refinement is the "economic" line of YBA. The Sony, well... The Sony seems to have the better stats here but I have been unable to listen to one because they seem to be out of stock every where I go. The only way to get the Audio Refinement piece is out of a dealer in NY that I have never dealt with before. I am in Dallas, TX. See my dilemma?
Trey, there are many more dealers for AR than the one in NY, Hi-End Theater & Audio in Dallas for one. Check out this link to locate an AR dealer near you:

http://www.audioplusservices.com/dealers.html

Best of luck. FYI - a higher SNR is quieter.
Thanks, Creeper! I couldn't find a dealer list to save my life when I was doing my searches. Now I can give this a listen and decide for myself! Thanks again!