Have you ever deceived your wife-audio purchase

This could lead to a hysterical thread. How many audiophiles have come home with an expensive amp/preamp/and told their wife they bought it for practically nothing? Only to have paid 3-4K they had in their private stash? How many audiophiles have secretly installed a new "toy" in their audio system thinking their wife wouldn't notice. My old girlfriend thought anything beyond a boombox was excessive. Whenever I would upgrade my system,I would come up with some far fetched tale(lie) Would love to hear your story.......
krelldog
Boy, would I love to be able to say I was straight up with the s.o. about it all. The music has lifted me out of depression countless times. But I wonder if I would have been less depressed if my companion and I had both found the same pleasure in it.

I've mentioned the great deals, the bargain prices I've paid by shopping here so many times that she has to be aware it's not the whole story. A 2 grand kitchen reno we planned still hasn't happened, but I have a new cartridge; a line of credit she hadn't known about showed up when we remortgaged the house. ( No we didn't get a second mortgage just to pay for the audio system ! ) A couple of windfall back paycheques went on Music, the food of love, not on a vacation together in the Greek isles.

So now I'm writing this as a public declaration that tweaks are where it's at, and that new speaker cables, a tone arm and a power conditioner will not happen for a long time if at all. This is hard to say. I notice an intensity or rush behind my upgrade ideas, and I think it's due to aging. What if I never get to hear how my LP12 sounds with a Breuer? (Gad... a Breuer... )

What if it never gets any closer to perfection than this?

Say "no big deal" to that? Not easy. And yet (I hate to say it, especially here) I somehow think it will be easier to say "no big deal" to that, than to say the same thing if I never get to see the Greek islands with my companion.

I want it all, I may get one. Wish me luck, eh.
Tobias, I hear ya, man.

Been to the Greek Islands, you ain't missing anything (except, maybe, that Breuer). Take her to the next CES convention if held in a "fun" city. Vegas had a lot of togas to be found over at Caesar's.

Also, if the kitchen is a big deal for her, try to make it happen...somehow. Trust me, the look on her face will make your listening experience that much better (not to mention the "extra-loving" you'll surely receive.)

Best regards.
Wow, you guys are funny............. How come you didn't ask how many of us gals have tried to deceive our husbands! I was just trying to think up a good story as to why I just had to have a new set of Vandy speakers, and don't ya know - he asked me what I want for my birthday - whew!
If she had any clue, she'd shoot me! The only thing she knows the real price on is the tv, since we went shopping for it together.

I usually tell her a component costs about a quarter of what I spend. Since she has no idea, it works for me.

If she ever figured out how to get in my favorites folder, and finds Audiogon, my ass is toast!
[email protected], we didn't ask because we KNOW about womens tricks. Hell, she probably knows my tricks too. She never discusses money on her purchases either. If I say "Hey, is that a new outfit/dress/whatever", I expect one of two responses.

1) If it didn't cost much, she'll tell me that, "yes it is, but she got an unbelieveable deal on it, like 80% off".

2) If it was expensive, she'll hide it away for a couple months, so when I ask, she can say, "No, it's not new, I've had this for awhile".

It's the politics of being married over 20 years. LOL.

It's funny how you mention gifts. My wife and I do the opposite things. She'll buy me cell phones and digital cameras, things I can never find because they're always in her purse (she's the photographer) for my birthday, and I'll buy her a new end table (that's really a subwoofer, hehe) for hers. It makes for interesting gift-giving. I look forward to her birthday more than my own.

Cheers,
John