high-end vs. ultra high-end amplifiers

It is quite frustrating to know that some amplifiers (Boulder, FM Acoustics, Accuphase) are sounding better than even very expensive ones from the big boys (Mark Levinson, Krell, Bryston, Spectral). I wonder why there is such a difference. Madrigal, Krell, Bryston, Spectral, they all belong to the high-end sector of audio industry and they are claiming they are making the best amplifiers. But I know that this is not true: I've heard amplifiers from Boulder and FM Acoustics and they sound just better than the Madrigals, Krells and so on. Is it because Boulder and FM Acoustics have more know how about amplifier design (I suppose not) or do they use more expensive parts and better circuit topologies? Do they have brighter technicians and designers? There must be an explanation for this phenomenon. It isn't magic! Maybe someone from the audio industry can reply to this thread.
dazzdax
You call Mark Levinson,Krell,Spectral, and Bryston the big boys. Well Boulder,FM Acoustics,and Accuphase are not little and by no means cheap!
I think Stehno joins my thinking...
Philefreak: no, the companies you mention (bar Accuphase) ARE little -- probably becaue they choose to be so.
Warrenh... give your excellent (IMO) machine & its manufacturer a break. Bernard-Andre did NOT produce it to kill others -- just to play music well, in an APPROPRIATE surrounding (i.e. driving the right load).

Pbb's mental sampling rate, as portayed in the latest post, is too high for me to understand the accompanying argumentation.

Surely, not all higher priced equipment is a scam; and anyway, we're not obliged to purchase it even if the price draws our attention to it. Cheers
Buy a Rogue Magnum or Atma Sphere MK-60II.
Both are killer amps and stand up well to products at 2/3 times the price.
A certin dealer in Toronto would not carry the Rogue. It would have killed his 10k+ amp business. Those where his exact words.
I alluded to what Philefreak said in my earlier message, I don't see the amps he listed as "inexpensive" amps! I don't know anything about FM Acoustics and little about Accuphase and Boulder, other than they have very expensive amps just as the others; therefore I am confussed on the "supposed" price disparity.

As for one brand sounding better than the other, this has been well covered as subjective.

Gregm mentions that the smaller companies "probably" want to stay that way (small), in other words, "I am speculating and have no idea". (Not looking for an argument here Greg, the statement just reminded me of some of the campaign ads currently running.)

I don't know why the poster finds what he perceives to be "frustrating", if he doesn't like certain brands, don't buy.
Gregm, reading over my message, it certainly comes across harsher than my intentions! I should of stated that you may (or may not) be right. Please don't take it to personal.