Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
I don't understand the naysayers' demand for proof. Surely, it's not that hard to do listening comparisons of same model components, one "broken in" and the other not. In any case, how could science possibly confirm or disconfirm whether there is an audible difference to a listener? Wouldn't a listener's ability consistently to distinguish the components constitute sufficient "proof"? I have heard a pronounced difference in a number of components--cables, amplifiers, etc. Can I prove this? No. Do I understand any scientific principles or phenomena that would explain this? No. I also can't "prove" that my Acoustic Zen Satori cables sound better than my old AQ Midnight III, or that my Linn Karik cd player sounds much better than my old Adcom GFP-750--but they do. I suspect that the same crowd who used to argue that digital can't make a difference, then cables can't make a difference has moved on to break in can't make a difference. It's a tired move--which isn't to say that some things can't and don't make a difference. Listen for yourselves.
Jayarr,
Seems to me the best way to find out whether or not what is going on is brain acclimatization or equipment break-in is to buy a new unit and play extensively for the first day taking notes in the process. Play continuously at low volume for 2 weeks without listening.After 2 weeks, now listen and compare notes. I know, aural memory is notorious fickle but at least this is a relatively easy way to try to examine this phenomenon.
Jayarr-I did that.
It doesn't prove anything except to me!
Which doesn't make other findings wrong.
Why can't people have confidence in their own findings and live and let live?
It's a simple solution.
Marakanetz's post is right on, 100%. Only exception is that i believe there is not even one second breakin time. It'll sound the same the second you turn your component on til the day she dies. Why should audio equipment be the only electronics that needs breakin time. An airplane does not fly any better after 1000 hours of fly time, i'm afraid there is 1000x's more electronics in a plane than in your cd player.