Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
Aball, the reason I suggested the blind test is that there are no bias during the test and the result should be nutral. Personally, I do not oppose burning in stuffs as I believe in it too. Just try to give some solutions that should be universally accepted.

Ake
here we go: we ain't talkin' here 'bout differences in cables or power cords. we're talking about burn-in or break-in which in reality more issue of mentality and adoptation rather than any physical proccess involved.
i read a commets about "residual polarization" and i do have an idea how to calculate the time of a residual polarization:
1. define a signal path lengh
2. divide a signal path lengh(meters) by speed of light(meters/second) and you get time in seconds of a "residual polarization" of a dielectric.
3. compare the result with the manufacturer suggested burn-in or break-in time he...he...
4. if you don't trust me just write a note to [email protected] the vtl manufacturers to receive a tru-scientific answer from knowledgable personnel or even luke manley himself who realy deserves a respect and trust.
Since I'm now about the 350 hour mark on my Sony SACD machine I thought I'd get back with MY findings.
I have had previously felt that I had experienced components breaking in without really analysing it.
This time I took notes and more importantly in my opinion did not listen to SACD outwith about 4 sessions over the break in period.
This meant I hadn't the chance to get used to the SACD sound.
I have to say I didn't find what others have,the gradual change wasn't there,at 250 hours I could hear no real difference from my intial listening.
Nearer the 300 hour mark I felt perhaps there was a bit more weight and maybe focus but I would need to say it was marginal,if so it hasn't changed since.
I don't think this proves or disproves anything but I was surprised because obviously more knowledgeable and experienced audiophilles here and elsewhere have commented on Sony break in.
I have to say now I have doubts about break in but continue to keep an open mind.
I'll continue to monitor my unit and report back if anything changes...............
I know this topic has been done to death, but I can at least make mention of my thoughts/ experiences.

I have not noticed much in terms of break-in for electronic devices such as cd players, amps, preamps etc. They do, however, have changes in sound characteristics once they are warmed up, which is a comment on which I'm sure most would agree. (without a doubt, tube equipment is THE most noticeable in terms of change of sound quality with warmup).

Speakers, on the other hand, are a different issue. I made a purchase of a pair of speakers, but the store did not have any NIB models in stock. They gave me the store's floor models to use temporarily until my new ones arrived. The floor models had been used in the store for quite some time. When I brought them home they sounded full, coherent, deep and dynamic.

The store called to inform me that the NIB models had arrived. When I set the new ones up at home, I noticed a big, no not big - HUGE difference in sound quality. The depth was gone. The sound collapsed. The treble was harsh and the bass was non-existent (monitor speakers). I'm talking about a day and night difference here, so much so that I called the store to ask them what the story was. They (semi-laughingly) told me to relax and assured me that the speakers would break in. And sure enough they did. It was gradual at first, but the more they were used, the better they sounded (they still sound good).

Now, I am not an engineer so I cannot quantify exactly why this is so, but I suspect that it has to do with the fact that speakers mechanical devices much like a piston. While at first they are 'rigid', one they 'wear in' to their motion, so to speak, they move more readily.

Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but I can tell you, with ears the size of mine, I notice EVERYTHING when it comes to sound. :P
I've noticed that on pieces of aircraft electronics there is a sticker saying:'burn-in completed'. Would the likes of Boeing bother if it didn't matter? I think that electronic components may work and sound better after break-in because the prototypes were evaluated by the manufacturer after break-in. So, in order to hear what they heard, you need to break it in. Another thing I have noticed is that an amp I once built needed recalibrating after having been used for a while. So apparently something had changed.