Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
Is there any other proof that burn-in break-in improves the components and/or cables other than voodoo or act-of-God kinda-stuff??
What is the physical internal proccess there that even dealers believe but don't understand realy what's going on?
I'm with Marakanetz on this one. I believe that your brain is doing the majority of the burn-in, except with speakers.
It's widely accepted that equipment that is "warmed up" sounds better than when it is first turned on. Why can't you accept that some level of break-in makes a difference?
I admit to having heard the effects of break-in on various pieces of audio equipment. I'll grant that some components seem to require little break-in while others need quite a bit more.

One of the better descriptions of what constitutes break-in of audio equipment (at least for speakers) can be found on the Avalon Acoustics website.

To paraphrase the manufacturer, break-in is required because there is "a residual polarization of the dielectric materials used in the crossover capacitors and internal wiring. The electrical signal will gradually anneal these materials. Driver suspensions similarly need break-in to "reach their optimal mechanical properties as the speakers are played." They go on to state that an initial six hour warm up with quiet music is recommended, with an additional 200-300 hours of loud, dynamic music for extended break-in.

Whether you choose to believe that break-in is important or not, it's hard to argue with the recommendations of an audio manufacturer of some repute.