Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
I agree with Marakanetz' observation that gullible 'philes often won't realize that apparent improvements in sound are really in their own heads, but I think it's both: my listening gets used to the sound of the component and the sound actually changes. I think break in exists, as the heat and current affect brand new circuit elements. This is distinct and separate from warm up, which also exists. It isn't a great step from believing in break in to accepting that it can take longer for some circuits and circuit elements.

I bought a Magnum Dynalab MD 208 last year, a piece that has a reputation for a long break in period. Magnum Dynalab pointed out in a post-review letter that its heavier duty circuit elements required a longer break in. I did notice the sound change. I tried to be as objective as possible when listening, half doubting that I would actually hear any change. I left it on all the time, playing softly when no one was present and turning the volume to zero when the room was in use. I did critical listening only on weekends. After the third week (500 hours), I could hear real differences (improvements) versus on day one. I don't think I imagined it.
I just bought a set of silver speaker wires. They did sound like $---.for 2/3/4 days. I would say anybody whom couldn't hear the dif. between what they sounded like @ 2/3/4 days and 7 days;is either not that particular;or deaf. (Run 24/7) There was just about no bass;the treble was nearly terrible,in the begining. I figure one needn't have anything but ordinary ears to discern the differences.--You grandmother with her hearing aid probably would have picked up on the differences. ---"This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong"--as Dennis Miller might say.
In my experience, the sonic characteristics of a burn-in verses a non-burned-in product can be best described as listening to a system immediately after powering the system on, verses listening to a system after warming up for 2, 4, 6, or even 8 hours. I had one amplifier that literally sounded better after 3 days of being powered up. Just like the manufacturer stated.

90 to 95 percent of the sonic signature is already there as soon as you power everything up, but then over the course of the warm-up time period the sound begins to warm up, blossoom, smooth out, and then immerse you into the music just a bit more.

-IMO
With speakers, I think it's fairly logical to assume the speaker will improve after some break-in. The drivers do require some air, to provide some deeper bass. As a Triangle Celius owner, I can attest that the speakers are far better after 200hrs of play than they were out-of-the box.
Question about CD player burn-in: Do you have to play music at decent volume levels, or can you just run your CD unit alone to burn it in? What normally happens after CD burn in? Do you get smoother highs and extended bass?

Need some help,
CB
The cd player needs to be on repeat and the dac or pre should be powered up.--That's all. What improvements there are is up to you to decide. I have always found lower bass/detail--and clean no sibliant treble to be the last to occur.