Opinions on why this system is uninvolving

I have just upgraded my system in a number of ways from Snell Type A/IIs to Revel Studios; from Audible Illusions Modulus 2 to Hovland HP-1; and from the earliest EADs to Metronome Technology DAC and transport. I find the system uninvolving much of the time. I also find it lacking in dimensionality, find it sometimes hard sounding and I notice image wander. Here's the whole system:

Revel Studios
Hovland HP-1
MFA 200C mono amps
Metronome DAC and Transport
Shunyata Hydra on amps
Power Wedge I on other components
Various high end cords incl. Top Gun, Shunyata Mamba and EMI whales
Tara Prime (or perhaps 1800) speaker cables (bi-wiring)
Audioquest Ruby interconnects between amps and pre amp (about 30-foot run)
Hovland interconnct between DAC and preamp
Siecor optical AT&T between DAC and transport

Any thoughts on how to arrest these problems would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about trying solid state amps like the Pass 250 or 350, the McCormack DNA line, Proceed or Rowland, but I'm not really sure that will make a sginficiant difference. I know it could change the sound signficantly, but not necessrily for the better (which I realize is completely subjective anyway).
znak_m
I haven't read any posts because there are too many and I'm too lazy, plus some of them are most likely worthless, sorry, I had to say that. If I'm being redundant, I apologize, I would get rid of all conditioners, especially the power wedge and go directly to the wall provided you have dedicated lines. Anytime I've used any form of conditioning except power cords it is exactly as you describe.
Znak_m here is the quick cure (your MFA's are good amps)
I know Scott Frankland - he does good work.

1) Take the Hydra OFF of the amps.
2) Use any PC you have two of on the amps (hopefully you can use the BMI's). If you have been using Shunyata's on the Amps, use stock PC's.
Plug direct to wall if possible.

3) Plug the Metronomes into the Hydra.

3a) Try the various PC's you have left over on the digital gear swap the Mamba & Top Gun between the DAC and Transport

4) report back to us to let us know about the changes you hear.

Also.. what EAD front end were you using? The EAD T-7000 perhaps???
I really get a kick out of you folks that think changing
around some power cords will solve Znak_m's issues with
his already excellent system.

No amount of money spent on some fancy power cords can make up for a system mismatch between a preamp and power amp.

Znak_m, the Revels are great speakers, please seek out
my friend Scott Frankland and discuss the the interface
of your new Hovland to the M200s.

Aloha.

Maui Dan
Tubegroove is right, dump the speakers. Look around, stay away from wjat people call "high resolution"; look for what people call "musical." Vandys are not your answer. Spendors, guys?

Bwhite also right, get those nice amps OUT of the Hydra and into the wall. Plug CD/pre into Hydra. Avoid long IC's if at all possible.

Get better IC's/spkr cabling. Ask around, see other posts, say how much you are willing to drop.

Hovland nice, good company, but Supratek far better, less money. You'd like it. See current thread on it.

Good luck!!
I appreacite all of your suggestions. Before doing anything rash, I am going to take Kana813's advice and check out the impedance interactions between these components and talk to Scott Frankland. I understand he is a dealer (or works at one) in San Jose. By the way, Kana813, you're right about the octal front end tubes on the MFAs, but they are not that old.

I will also switch the Shunyata to the digital front end and preamp and plug the amps right into the wall sockets which are dedicated. Oddly enough, yesterday just taking the Mamba off the DAC and replacing it with a Sidewinder seemed to result in some improvement.

BWhite, the EADs are the 7000 series; the first series they produced, I think. I have been thinking about trying the EAD transport with the Metronome DAC to see if it sounds better than the Metronome transport; the EAD transport is built like a tank.

Many of you have suggested getting rid of the 30' interconnect run, but to do that would require a 30' run from the preamp to the DAC (not to mention the tuner, SACD, and turntable). Would that be a better situation anyway? It would be inconvenient this way as the preamp would no longer be close to the listening position and would instead be close to the speakers. Are there any ICs of which any of you are aware that the Hovaland might have an easier time running at 30'?

Thanks again.