Fraud alert Fair warning to Audiogoners.

I recently came across a scam on Ebay. Persons of Arabic descent using Anglo or Jewish surnames are fraudulently auctioning cameras, and now seem to have found their way to audio sites. I noticed a suspicious ad here not long ago, but it has disappeared. There was no email address for it. The seller was in Spain, which is where one of my suspect's is located. Now I noticed similar ads popping up on other audio sites. I found two ads today on another audio site. The ads all have the following properties:

The items advertised are very desirable

The items are priced below market value

The feedback, if any, is recent and contrived

The payment method always assures no recourse for the buyer (Postal Money Order, Western Union)

Spain and New York City area seemed to be where these scams are coming from. Once I discovered the people in New York, the ads started to come from Spain.

The ads are very well done and includes pictures

Many of the ads have cryptic messages built into them

Yes, I am in law enforcement, but the jusidiction here is with the FBI and possibly the Postal Inspectors, depending on how payment is made. They are aware of it. If you see any of these ads, please let me know where the ads are listed. I'm keeping a file of other possible ads with the case I turned over to the FBI. If you are a victim of this, please let me know.
glreno
On behalf of all at Audiogon, thank you Glreno, for your valuable information. We all benefit knowing that there are such scams taking place.

They show their obvious deceit and intent.

Kind regards,
Brian Weitzel
Thanks Glreno for the update. Buyers please carefully check sellers feedback. Best way is to see if ther members who left feedback for the seller has at least some feedback from elsewhere so not to create false feedback for each other.

Please examine feedbacks thoroughly before sending your hard earned $$$
Glreno,
Can you point to specific ads on Ebay? How do you know they are people of Arabic descent if they use Jewish or Anglo surnames? For that matter, how do you know what surnames they use, since Ebay doesn't release this information?

I am concerned that the vague information provided will only serve to cause unnecessary fears and suspicions, especially against people of "Arabic descent".

Except for the allegation about the suspicious feedback, all the other "suspicious" features are not suspicious at all:

The items advertised are very desirable
THERE ARE TONS OF DESIRABLE ITEMS ON EBAY

The items are priced below market value
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A "BUY IT NOW" PRICE OR A STARTING PRICE? HOW DO YOU DETERMING "MARKET PRICE"?

The feedback, if any, is recent and contrived
OK, THIS MAY BE SUSPICIOUS, BUT CAN WE HAVE EXAMPLES?

The payment method always assures no recourse for the buyer (Postal Money Order, Western Union)
THERE ARE TONS OF SALES WHICH REQUIRE MONEY ORDERS. IT IS PROBABLY THE MOST PREVALENT PAYMENT METHOD.

Spain and New York City area seemed to be where these scams are coming from. Once I discovered the people in New York, the ads started to come from Spain.
A CHECK OF PHOTO ITEMS FROM SPAIN A MINUTE AGO REVEALED HUNDREDS OF ITEMS. NEW YORK HAS MANY MORE. AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU "DISCOVERED" THE PEOPLE? DID YOU CONFIRM THAT AN AD WAS FRAUDULENT IN YOUR OFFICIAL CAPACITY, OR ARE YOU MERELY REFERRING TO AN AD THAT YOU THINK IS SUSPICIOUS?

The ads are very well done and includes pictures
THERE ARE TONS OF ADS THAT ARE WELL DONE, AND ALMOST ALL HAVE PICTURES

Many of the ads have cryptic messages built into them
CRYPTIC MESSAGES? PAUL IS DEAD? CAN YOU BE SPECIFIC? AND WHAT PURPOSE DO THE CRYPTIC MESSAGES SERVE? ARE TERRORISTS USING EBAY TO COMMUNICATE?

I certainly appreciate being alerted to a scam. But you give little information necessary to detect a specific scam and much fuel for unnecessary hysteria.
I became very suspicious of a "For Sale" ad that was placed just after I placed a "Wanted to buy Ad" for a Berning ZH270.

I communicated with this person with several emails. Something didn't seem right. Glreno, I was in law enforcement for a number of years also and my gut told me, leave this one alone.

Well, sure enough, after reading your post, the MO seems extremely similar. Can't say for sure without an investigation, but this one smells.
The guy is now at audioshopper.com selling a Mark Levinson 336 for $2800. I think I'll buy a dozen at this price. The Bryston 7B-St amp that I saw on Audioweb yesterday that was plugged into a 120V is now a brand new sealed in box.