odyssey amp's how do they compare to others

are other amp's just over priced? could most people tell one amp from another if it was covered with a cardboard box?the stratos seem to get rave reveiws.am I just crazy to send more money on other move expensive amps.thanks in advance to everybody this is a great website
nikonf
At the Tuner Info Center it (T 117) is in third place, right below the TU X1, among 25 tuners. I have never heard it, but these people have trained ears, and even though I don't agree with them altogether, they altleast know more than I probably do. I have an accuphase T 100 that I learned about here at audiogon from reading.
I have always wodered about certain amps, after hearing so much about them. The citation 7.1 also sounds like a good amp, but I now have heard that it isn't really all that, yet still nice.
Go Odyssey!!
Well, I guess it's time that I weighed in for the what it's worth department. I've known Klaus for over 2 years now (although we haven't met in person), having origially purchased a Stratos power amp and a Tempest pre (which were ordered in December 2000). At the time, I was looking to get into separates and upgrade from an Arcam integrated I had. During all the time I've dealt with Klaus, he's never attempted to up sell me - I've always been the one coming back to him. Why? First, I'm convinced that the products he's selling into the market are the best value in high end today. (One can read my review on AR). Second, I have never received the level of customer service I receive from Klaus from any other dealer. He's never rude, has never talked down to me - and never degraded any of the other components I have in my system.

I upgraded from the Stratos to monoblocks - which were heavenly. I have since upgraded from the Odyssey monos to Symphonic Line RG4s. Not once had Klaus suggested that I upgrade. It's been more like getting the next fix - the sound quality of the predecessor product was so incredible, that I just wanted to go to the next level. I'm convinced I'm set for life, and convinced that no one can go wrong with the Odyssey line of products.
I have the stratos with a 100,000 cap upgrade. This was what Klaus had left over before he went to the 120,000. I have never had a problem with this amp and I am proud to say that I have given great reviews on this amp and a couple on audioreview. I saw the bogus review and I look at it as someone who wants to just be the one who can ruin a perfect review or he is just plain jealous! That amp they also reviewed in TAS didn't have the cap upgrade. Klaus wanted to see what he could do by keeping his amp under a grand. With the cap upgrade which would have taken it barely over a thousand dollars, there wouldn't have been a competition with these other amps that cost 600-1000 more than the basic stratos. Klaus has always been a gentlman to me and most audiophiles. He doesn't push his products and as a matter of fact will always recommend other manufacturers preamps to go along with his Stratos amp. I have had numerous amps including tubes which I owned for years. I don't go out comparing every one's amp to the stratos anymore. Guess that means I am happy with what I hear and that is what this hobby is all about!
Mfb33, Iam not an owner of the stratos yet,I heard about
this amp from the my friend, and read all the thread,
it only takes 5 threads to figure out, if I will have
interest on this monos atratos, Socrates, and Rbstehno's
are more than enough for me to be convince to call Klaus,
I think people dont realize He is already 5 to 6 weeks
backorder, So He does not need to do so much sales talk,
My impression is, He is just very excited about his
product, He knows he has a good product that can make
us happy MAYBE...Like us audiophile sometimes when we
discover that one cheap cable does improvement to our
system, We want to tell every audiophile like us.
This is what i decide, I call Klaus maybe a month or
less ago, I requested if i could audition them He said Yes
Then I told him about my system,and the Andra i bou
He said He heard them with them, that they did sound
good. Then I asked him about the upgrade He said,that is
even better.I want the upgrade , HE SAID OK. . FINALLY, I ASKED HIM CAN I REURN THEM
IF THEY DONT WORK, HE SAID YES...HE EVEN TOLD ME,HE CAN
EVEN EXTEND MORE THAN 30 DAYS. WHAT ELSE MORE DO I
WANT. AS SIMPLE AS THIS IF THEY DONT WORK, UPS WILL BE
IN MY FRONT DOOR TO SEND THEM BACK TO HIM. BUT I WILL
NOT MISSL CHANCE LIKE THIS. iAM HOPING THEY WILL WORK
SO I DONT NEED TO BUY EXPENSIVE GEAR.By reading Steno's
thread it gave me alot of information about this amp',
because he did compare them with good amp like Plinius.
Finally Mfb33 I respect you for your thread, sometimes
if we are not comfortable on our decision, we dont have
to do it.i DONT kNOW KLAUS WE ONLY TALK ONCE.
I have the new Odyssey Xtreme Monoblocks which have replaced my Bryston 3BST. I bought the Bryston used for $950 and these amps are about $2600. Are they 3 times better? Easily Yes. The Bryston is a fine amp, however I wanted more. More top end smoothness, more detail and separation of that detail, a more weighty organic sound, more depth, greater dynamics, less overall listening fatigue. These amps deliver all of that. IMO they are a real bargain at the price. Take an audition and see for yourself.