Placette pre amp

I don't have a pre-amp yet and I'm not sure if I should get one. I am waiting to decide whether to buy a cd player with a volume control or to get a passive pre-amp. What would be the difference in sound? I have tube amps (Legend Audio Design) and love the sound of them, but their pre-amp doesn't have a volume remote, which I really want. If I get a passive preamp or cd player with a volume control will I lose the sound of the Legends? I know there has been a lot of discussion about passives but still not sure what to do. Does anybody own the Placette (or any other passive) and what does it do to the sound versus having an active pre-amp or cd directly into the amps? I don't own a turntable right now, but will be getting one down the road, so I may need a pre-amp?
smw30yahoocom
I assume that the author of this thread has triode monoblocks from Legend Audio and I dare do dissapoint the author that these amps will loose some of its performance if driven by passive stage. These monos have low sencitivity and relatively low gain. The great deal of detail and dynamics may dissapear if the source with high output(~3.V on the output) isn't used.
CD players with volume control can have a sufficient output voltage for your amplifier but won't you use different components as well?
Yes, I have triode monoblocks, but didn't know the sensitivity etc, since everything is boxed up right now. Thanks for the input, though. I'm waiting for the new format to settle in somewhat before I buy a cd player, but am thinking of a ML or Audio Aero or something with a volume control. I want to get a turntable in the future, so eventually I will have to get a pre-amp but just wasn't sure which one to get. I don't want the sound from the Legends to change because of the pre-amp, so I thought I might get a passive, but I guess that won't work. What about a volume pot (EVS)? Or what pre-amp would you suggest if I don't go with the Legend (no remote volume)?
There are several options for you:
Pass Aleph P(hard to find though) that has switchable gain and can be used as an active and passive preamp as well in case if you will have high output source(can be a phono too).
BAT VK50 is one of the best preamps for the money spent. It's excellent performer with triode and SET amplifiers and has a remote.
EVS volume pot or even Creek OBH12 passive remote stage can also be coupled with existing non-remote preamp.
Get the Placette Line Stage, which is active but has no gain. It will give you everything you wanted from a passive without the downsides. If you need gain, he can build it in, but you probably won't need it. This is a tremendous product.
I believe you can try the Placette risk free for 30 days from the manufacturer. Sounds like that might be useful in your situation. Best of luck.

Tim