Krell KAV-250a: good? vs. Bryston 4B ST at price?

How is the Krell KAV-250a? In terms of weight, size, and price it seems like "Krell Lite". How would you compare it to the other Krel amps? How is it at it's price point? Recently discontinued, they can be had new for about $2000. Is it worth it? Or for around the same money are you better off with a Bryston 4B ST (which has similar power ratings)? What else around that price and comparable output levels would be better? These would drive a pair of Mirage M-3si speakers, and be feed by a Sonic Frontiers preamp.
papertiger
Both feedbacks from Kthomas are deadon. I have a 250A powering a pair of Martin Logan Quest Zs which are a difficult load to say the least & the Krell has no problem with them.My preamp is a Sonic Frontiers Line 3. This combination gives me deep tight bass,a wonderful midrange with natural sounding highs. The soundstage has breadth & depth. At 2k the Krell is a bargain.If you do purchase one plan on relacing the power cord. The P.S. Lab cable brings out the best in this amp. Have a happy New Year. Larry W
I've dealt with all these pieces for years. Off the bat, I'd say for sure the Krell for those Mirages! The Mirages are a bit warm sounding, and the krell matches better. The Bryston is in the similar league, but wawmer, more body, and slightly more rubust base line. I think you'll get more sparkle on top with the Krell, and the Mirages need all the help in the detail department they can get!!...and the krell get's the edge here. Good luck
totally agree with dave43 -
i have kav 250a power b&w n804s through a lex pre and i absolutely love the sound. perfect for audio, and since you mentioned bass slam, WOW, in movies its phenomenal. i have a jm labs sw38a sub that enhances just the very low freq, and this setup is a smash. matrix, jp, - sound unbelieveable! imho. b
Danielk makes a good (and accurate) point - Krell changed their warranty policy such that it's not transferable unless you purchase through an authorized Krell dealer. The original post mentioned buying new and I assumed that meant from a Krell dealer, in which case you're fine. I see a lot of Krell gear advertised used that do not reflect this new policy. Having any piece of gear under warranty is worth some $$$. -Kirk