Krell KAV-250a: good? vs. Bryston 4B ST at price?

How is the Krell KAV-250a? In terms of weight, size, and price it seems like "Krell Lite". How would you compare it to the other Krel amps? How is it at it's price point? Recently discontinued, they can be had new for about $2000. Is it worth it? Or for around the same money are you better off with a Bryston 4B ST (which has similar power ratings)? What else around that price and comparable output levels would be better? These would drive a pair of Mirage M-3si speakers, and be feed by a Sonic Frontiers preamp.
papertiger

Showing 3 responses by kthomas

I use the KAV-250a to power my fronts (Dynaudio Contour 3.0) and am very pleased with it. I'd consider a brand new one for $2000 an excellent purchase. It is somewhat "Krell Lite", but in a good way IMO - you get 99% of the Krell sound, including spectacular bass, but in a manageable package. It doesn't run as hot as the older class A Krells, one person can move it, it doesn't have the sharp heatsinks, you aren't required to install a dedicated circuit (though it always helps). You can always buy a full-blown Krell later. The KAV-250a was widely reviewed extremely positively.

I have no hands on experience with the Bryston, but you probably wouldn't go wrong with it either - built like a tank, 20 year warranty, etc. -Kirk

Danielk makes a good (and accurate) point - Krell changed their warranty policy such that it's not transferable unless you purchase through an authorized Krell dealer. The original post mentioned buying new and I assumed that meant from a Krell dealer, in which case you're fine. I see a lot of Krell gear advertised used that do not reflect this new policy. Having any piece of gear under warranty is worth some $$$. -Kirk
Two points that have been raised on the Krell. First, it is often cited that the older Krells were a bit more strident sounding than the current (or at least more recent crop), so I'm not sure I'd base my opinion of the KAV-250a on one of the older KSA models. I've never owned one of the older models, so I can't make the comparison, but I don't find the KAV-250a to be harsh. Many of the reviews I read on it also commented on how it didn't share some of the harsh characteristics of earlier Krell amps.

Second, the KAV-250a isn't that new a product, at least for Krell (who seems to specialize in rolling their product line every 2-3 years). I think the reason it's being discontinued is because they've come out with upgraded versions of both the 2-channel and 3-channel 250 w/ch amps that also have the new cosmetics. I believe it's been a very successful product for Krell and, as with many other Krell products, good prices are to be had with the model rollover. I agree that it won't help with the used prices, but if you're buying and take it into account, a Krell will definitely retain a fair amount of value over time.

I agree with Angela that the Krell is an excellent choice if you like rock music - I listen to a lot of rock music and watch a lot of movies, both of which naturally have a lot of in-your-face sound to them. I listen to a lot of jazz and vocals as well, and I think it does a great job with them as well, but I haven't compared a bunch of amps so I may really be missing out. I'm sure that at $2K, there's a LOT to choose from and many models that would be excellent choices. I also don't know how difficult a load the Mirages are - the Dynaudios really like their current which is one of Krell's major strong points. -Kirk