To turn off or not to turn off

That is the question. I have always left my components on, because I heard that they would pay me back with greater reliability. The theory goes that electric/electronic hardware takes a big hit every time it is turned on.

However, I don't listen to the equipment through the night. And the equipment is using electricity and converting it to heat while idling. Besides the waste, would it be better for the equimpent to be turned off when not in use?

What do you think?

Dan C.
dancarne
I leave my equipment on knowing i'm going to listen throughout the day,otherwise I leave it in standby.You can't get optimum sound unless your amp,pre,etc...has been on for a long period of time.It's all in the ear of the beholder.
My brother has a working Marantz receiver which he bought new in the late 1960's. He leaves it on and estimates that it's been turned off maybe a dozen times in these 30+ years (several times due to NYC power blackouts). The negative is that the receiver is the one component he refuses to upgrade.
Seems to me that electronics (newer) are modern and advanced enough to be turned on and off as needed.
If you have tube equipment, don't even think of leaving it on all the time. Contrary to what some audiophiles say on this site, even leaving a tube preamp in standby mode is using up valueable tube life. Audio Research states, "2000 hours of tube life will pass by in 84 days".

Solid state is another question. However, I think it is logical that there are components that will age faster from being powered continuously.

Solution? Put equipment on several hours before a listening session.
Couldn't agree more. Some people have strange ideas. Sure enough your gear needs to warm up but leaving it on all the time is a recipe for frequent and expensive re-tubing or worse.
Solutions
1. Turn system on and take dog for a walk so you don't have to listen to cold system.
2. Wear ear plugs for first 20 minutes.
3. Play your least favourite LP or CD 'cause it always sounds crap anyhow.