Made in America

I just saw on ABC news a segment about made in america and was curious if made in america meant anything to the audiophiles who live and work in the good ole USA.
wmbode
i think there is a trade off between the utility of the product and helping to provide employment for americans.

i can't specify how to determine which way to go, except to say, that certain products have reliability and safety issues. for such products, the country of origin is immaterial.

in addition, with respect to audio, there is the cost and sound factors. if there are two components, one made in the us, which costs more than another, manufactured not in the us, and there is very little difference in sound, it is hard to pay more, just because it is made in a foreign country.

i think american companies have to be competitive.

the classic example is wallmart vs a local store. wallmart's prices may be a lot less, so it is difficult to patronize the local merchant if there is a big price differential.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey". John Ruskin
Boutique companies are a consideration.
I personally have products from Wavelength (Gordon Rankin) and Doshi (Nick Doshi).
There are others of the same ilk.
Do a bit of research to weed out imposters.