Downgrading

Is downgrading the new upgrade ??
slikric3000
...we all make good statements here and not only about donwgrading. educating mass that goes after advices of certain dealers to spend 5 figures for home audio can bring the prices of equipment down for all so that is of an importance to bring this kind of propaganda to the public through the forum and chat media as a matter of fact.
"Right-sizing" might be a more useful term to describe achieving ones goals, even lofty ones, with less.
Apart from the downsizing issue, which for me is not relevant, I think downgrading your expectations can be profitable and free your mind to concentrate on the music.

When you always search for the 'best', within your budget of course, you remain fixed on the sound of your system. If you were to intentionally select components for synergy alone, i.e. 'I like the sound and that is good enough', you can relax and focus on the music. You know there are better components out there that could sound better. Could......but then you no longer care. Yours is good enough. The only thing you really lose is bragging rights.

That is what I've done anyway. Works for me. Oh, when I do feel audio anxiety approaching I try to tweak my room and set up. Occasionally I think I actually improve the system/room interface enough to have made it worth while and it costs $0. :-)
Expectations need to be realistic. That might involve downgrading them especially in the case where one expects their system to transform recordings to what they want or expect them to be rather than what in fact they really are.
Yes, I believe that downgrading is the new upgrade, mostly due to the economy. It has woken up many audiophiles from chasing their elusive dream.