the quest for the best--within limits

many threads appear on these forums of the following type:

what is the best (fill in component type) that costs less than (fill in the price point) ?

i am curious as to why there are so many threads of this type, when, i suspect, the originator of the thread probably realizes that there is no definitive answer to such a question.
mrtennis
There are so many threads like that because everyone wants the best. Right?
They are lazy. Many of the questions have been asked before. A few strokes of the keyboard will find the answers to many questions asked.
Dover,
You make a good point, the audiogon archives are rich with information on many topics. Redundancy is expected I guess with most open forums. Classic example," what amplifier/how much power is needed to drive magnaplanars". You could spend a day reading the number of posts on that popular issue.
Regards,
People do have a hard time with the search function. (How long until competitive googling becomes a sport?) But I also think that looking for equipment on the used market expands the possible options far beyond what most people have seen or heard, and it's suspiciously easy to find reviews that say whatever it is that's being reviewed is the "best." Some people seem to find forum members more credible than reviewers ... not sure why. :)
I got to agree with Dover. There are some posters of these types of inquiries are just plain lazy. How many Oppo BDP-95 questions do you see that have been addressed before. A search through the A'gon archives or using their favorite search engine could easily get that info. For me I will always search the archives first and then post.

As for the trusting of forum members vs. reviewers. I find it weird too and I read both. Sometimes I feel the reviewers may not be the most objective. Who knows if they have been paid off to write what they say.

Also I think these best of within $$$ threads start up because buy and try and sell if you don't like is getting tougher to do. People want to save themselves the hassle of that whole process, trim down their lists or get an idea.